Where to buy 4 button light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a clueless homeowner (not even DIY enthusiast) looking to buy spare parts before imminent visit of electrician...

I currently have a 3 button light switch controlling 3 separate lights in downstairs hall, and next to it another switch controlling upstairs hall light. We would want to replace this with one switch with 4 buttons. Can someone kind and helpful please point me in the direction of such an item that I could purchase from Screwfix, B&Q etc.. (with a link?)

(Incidentally, I mention these shops as they are open when i get home from work, but if there are London electrical shops open late, please do enlighten me)

Sponsored Links
I am a clueless homeowner (not even DIY enthusiast) looking to buy spare parts before imminent visit of electrician...

I currently have a 3 button light switch controlling 3 separate lights in downstairs hall, and next to it another switch controlling upstairs hall light. We would want to replace this with one switch with 4 buttons. Can someone kind and helpful please point me in the direction of such an item that I could purchase from Screwfix, B&Q etc.. (with a link?)

(Incidentally, I mention these shops as they are open when i get home from work, but if there are London electrical shops open late, please do enlighten me)

at the moment ul have a single plate switch to have 4 switches on one it will have to be a double (the length on a double socket) if the back box is buried in your wall this is going to be more work than you expect if it is a plastic back box fixed to the wall you will have to buy a double back box too and swap them

Rather than get the parts, why not let the electrician supply them? OK, so maybe he'll mark up the price a bit, but he'll also make sure it's the right part, and if anything goes wrong he can come back to fix it.
PJ

Sponsored Links
What you'll have is a single plate 3 gang switch and a single plate 1 gang switch. In one gang back boxes.
If the switches are next to each other, should not be such a big deal to change over to double back box and plate.
But a little bit of remedial work will be needed.
This is what will do the job.
double back box

and double 4 gang plate.

What you'll have is a single plate 3 gang switch and a single plate 1 gang switch. In one gang back boxes.
If the switches are next to each other, should not be such a big deal to change over to double back box and plate.
But a little bit of remedial work will be needed.
This is what will do the job.
double back box

and double 4 gang plate.

Thanks so much for your help. I had seen a 4 gang plate like that, but wasn't sure if it'd be okay, as it seems to be divided into 2 and 2 (and I've got 3 on the same circuit) - will get one now

I had seen a 4 gang plate like that, but wasn't sure if it'd be okay, as it seems to be divided into 2 and 2 (and I've got 3 on the same circuit) - will get one now
Will work fine!
Just make sure you speak to the electrician, to make sure the switch drops will reach and stay in safe zones, but if the two plates are as you said next to each other, it should be okay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back