Where to get rid of stones ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might be a daft question, but wanting to get suggestions on this.

I have stones all in my front and rear garden. Front garden I am wanting to make into a dual driveway to enable to cars to park out front, with a small corner garden area. For the rear garden, it is a bit bigger than front, longer, and is on a slope. I am unsure what exactly I want to do, but I do know I want rid of these stones! Both front and rear are on a slope and they all end up down the bottom all the time. We want to have a grass area at some point in the rear garden with potential decking area down the back. As I said do not know exactly yet. I may just clear the front garden first and sort rear later.

Here is pic of front of house with stones in it.

So I have access to a trailer and local dump is near by. Whats best way to get rid of these? I was thinking bag them, but that would be expensive? If I were to get a load of "coal" style bags I could fill, dump and reuse ? Can you even dump these type of stones in your local dump?

Suggestions appreciated! Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi there

I would suggest using Freecycle and or Freegle.... I'm pretty sure someone would snap them up quite quick. In fact, if you were in Norfolk I'd have them off you!

I myself got some off someone local to me through Freecycle. And I took my own bags there and filled them up myself. So you might not only just get rid of them but might save yourself some grafting too. Although if you are feeling kind you could of course offer to help. If you are feeling exceptionally kind and/or need them out of the way ASAP, you could offer to help AND deliver.

If you've never heard of Freegle/Freecycle let me know and I'll explain.

Cheers

matatool,
If freecycle does not work for you, then you can try taking it to a local tip if they have 'rubble disposal' (shovel into a few rubble baskets and put in back of car and make many trips). However my local tip gets upset if they catch you taking too much rubble and charge you. I also found it was many many more trips to the tip than I was expecting (and so expensive for fuel, time and the occasions when I had to pay the tip).

So now I would suggest doing a google search for a local "Grab Hire" and getting a quote. Last time I used this it was half the price of a skip, and I pilled all the rubble in one large pile near the garden wall (with enough space around for the claw), he parked his lorry on the road outside garden and used an extending Grab Claw to remove it all.
sfk

Sponsored Links
The back of your local paper is probably full of adverts for people who deal in stone and want to buy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back