Where to put my shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my bathroom upgraded last year and it looks really nice.Before i had a shower unit over the bath and it worked really well with plenty of pressure,it worked so the hot water coming into it came of the hot water tank and the cold water came from the tank in the loft.The bathroom was upgraded and i got a powerfull pump put next to the hot water tank the pump pumps both the hot and cold water to the bathroom mixer and then to the shower head.The pump is a negative head pump of approx 2.2bar pressure,we have had the pipe work altered that many times and the problem still seems to be there.The bathroom is about 3metres away,the problem seems to be not very good flow.The pipe work has been checked out by so called experts and the pressure going to the pump has been checked and is fine.I think it is because it is the pipe work,it goes down to the pump and then goes up into the loft near the cold water storage tank and then across to the bathroom and then to the mixer half way down the wall and then to the shower head.I think it loses to much pressure going up to the loft and then down to the shower.I am now thinking of putting the pump directly under the bath and putting the pipe work under the floor,so the pump is directly under the mixer so that the pump is only driving upto the shower head.Does anybody think this will work.

Sponsored Links
Probably one for the Plumbing section, unless you can elaborate on the DIY Disaster element of this...?

Sponsored Links
Gravity feed hot water should be fed in at least 22mm pipe all the way to the tap, and do not use flexible tap connectors as they restrict the flow, also make sure the isolating valves are full flow type.

Gravity feed hot water should be fed in at least 22mm pipe all the way to the tap, and do not use flexible tap connectors as they restrict the flow, also make sure the isolating valves are full flow type.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Plumber is going to install a pressure activated shower pump. Since tank can't be raised and head to kitchen tap is 200mm a pump was only feasible solution. Should give me at least 1 bar pressure.

I installed a pump for my shower which seems to be of the same lay out that you have.
I bought a Salamander 1.5 bar Pump.
It is recommended that 22mm pipe is used to the pump and 15mm from the pump.
It was also stated that the shower head needs to at least 18" below the header tank and if not then you would need a negative head pump which you have.
I got round this by raising the tank in my loft which I know is not an option for you but the pump you have should solve this problem.
Does the pump have its own seperate feeds from the tank in the loft and its own seperate feed via a Surry Flange from the tank in the airing cupboard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back