Where would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Given that Brexit has already started an exodus from the 'financial capital of the world', where would you choose to go if you were a banker?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ourg-financial-services-banking-a8471886.html

"Brexit means London's financial star is falling. Which of its rivals is best placed to rise?"

The obvious place for a majority would be inside the EU ? I hope it doesn't need explaining. But somehow I am sure it will.

If it needs explaining, then I reaffirm my position that the public were not aware of the consequences of the referendum, but still voted.

Hong Kong or Shanghai probably.
They've already worked out that they will be dealing within the EU in future...

Their ex-pats are starting to leave London, and our indigenous bankers/brokers will be scrambling for places abroad to maintain their lifestyles...

But the problem is, 'Brexit London' won't look too good on the CV!

Sponsored Links
But they will also want to move to sophisticated markets, neither Patis or Frankfurt meet that criteria, and before anyone says it, no those services are not that simple to emulate.

But they will also want to move to sophisticated markets, neither Patis or Frankfurt meet that criteria, and before anyone says it, no those services are not that simple to emulate.
Not an immediate total collapse in London of course, but over time it will end up as a second rate 'used to be somewhere to invest in' kind of place!

But the numbers don't lie...

450 million people in a trading bloc or 65 million people who 'got their country back'...

Who would you award preferential trade status to in the long run?

Last edited:
Not an immediate total collapse in London of course, but over time it will end up as a second rate 'used to be somewhere to invest in' kind of place!

The numbers don't lie...

450million or 65million

or over 1 Bn in China.

The Trophy Wives of senior finance sector managers and directors insist on a city that has good English Language schools, posh shops and restaurants, and at least one world-class Opera House. A large Yacht Harbour needs to be within an hour in the 'copter. Pollution should be low and no serious endemic disease even among the local inhabitants.

They also insist on an honest legal system, and police that are efficient and not corrupt, with little kidnapping. This depends on the funding of public services, so is a bit more difficult to balance with their husbands' need for a place that's soft on tax.

China does not meet all these criteria. Russia meets very few.

The Trophy Wives of senior finance sector managers and directors insist on a city that has good English Language schools, posh shops and restaurants, and at least one world-class Opera House. A large Yacht Harbour needs to be within an hour in the 'copter. Pollution should be low and no serious endemic disease even among the local inhabitants.

They also insist on an honest legal system, and police that are efficient and not corrupt, with little kidnapping. This depends on the funding of public services, so is a bit more difficult to balance with their husbands' need for a place that's soft on tax.

China does not meet all these criteria. Russia meets very few.
Nor does Paris or Frankfurt!

The obvious place for a majority would be inside the EU ? I hope it doesn't need explaining. But somehow I am sure it will.

The EU are trying a land grab of financial services, the likelyhood though is that New York may gain.

If London loses it status then European banks have already said some key services will have to stop and others will become more expensive.

breaking up the London markets means fragmentation, nowhere in Europe can offer what London can do on the same scale.

If it needs explaining, then I reaffirm my position that the public were not aware of the consequences of the referendum, but still voted.

Sadly you understand little of the London financial market.

The EU are trying a land grab of financial services, the likelyhood though is that New York may gain.

If London loses it status then European banks have already said some key services will have to stop and others will become more expensive.

breaking up the London markets means fragmentation, nowhere in Europe can offer what London can do on the same scale.

I quite clearly said, a majority. Not complete.

It is obvious that London will break up to some extent, or do you disagree with that too?

Sadly you understand little of the London financial market.

You obviously know more, so I will let you explain.

Is London financial market likely t continue as it is?

Will some/any/much go to Europe?

Will some/much/any go elsewhere?

Is any of that good for the UK ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back