Which Alarm control unit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

While looking at window sensors, as in the previous post, have seen some control units in a local trade shop which might seem like a good time to replace my aging one.

They are both wired devices and am only looking at the basic control unit, no real need for extra lcd and remote keypad.

One is the Honeywell Optima Compact Gen4 and the other the Texecom Veritas 8 or Veritas 8 Compact and all seem very similarly speced, but I have no idea which is the better one, more in terms of the reliability , any thoughts /experience ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi both are decent enough panels nothing between them really. However an LCD would be a lot easier to program and much more informative should you have a problem for a few extra pounds.

What is the budget for a panel and keypad?

Think about what you have and what you want the system to do, then look at the options available.

Just if you start adding text or other options it may be more cost effective to get a better panel in a kit with the extra gear.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Take the point about the LCD as these units do have a lot of settings that would be a pain using just the led indicators.
Seems the Honeywell Accenta unit is available as a package with a lcd keypad for just £8 more than the basic Optima unit.

As for future needs, think these units will meet our simple needs, though again the Honeywell Accentas do come with their " communicator" outputs for connecting to dialers etc, but cannot see anything similar on the Texecom Veritas.
Already have a separate sms device and cctv/pci card that could react to the signals from the alarm unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 167
Sponsored Links
Veritas R8+ and Excel have the outputs.

Missed that one, though its only the Excel that has the LCD as well.
Its another £10 more than the Honeywell, though not a deal breaker.

The local supplier has several well priced part and full installation packages for the Honeywells but only the Texecom Excel control unit on its own or a rather expensive 'full' kit which would be a waste for me.

Looks like the H Accenta with Lcd is probably the one for me, unless you know the Excel is noticeably better and worth the extra ..?

Nice.... I have similar using rpi and openhab.

Never used the rpi, seems like you have to plug so much on to it, just to get it running, vs the arduino and a simple usb cable.
Never come across Openhab, looking interesting ,will have to give it a closer look.

Thanks both

At the risk of going off topic. I use the rpi with just a zwave adaptor plugged in to USB. Many zwave device/sensors out there. However still looking for some kind of zwave transmitter with multiple inputs to signal events from my alarm system... Ongoing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back