which blocks to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I' not an experienced builder and need some advice on building an entrance to our front garden.
We are to hang 2Meter high gates 3Meter wide on two 100mm steel posts supported in concrete 1Meter deep.
Each side of the gates we will build curved walls and cement render these. We have a pile of blocks and not sure what type they are , but you can cut them with a hand saw and are light weight, are these OK to use for our wall or are they for internal use only ?
Many thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
They are aircrete blocks Celcon, Thermalite or similiar.
Technically you could use them providing they are rendered and have a good coping.
However we would not. Especially as walls are curved. Your choice
old un.

Would you recoment concrete blocks only them as if i have to buy some I'm not suree which to use

Would you recoment concrete blocks only them as if i have to buy some I'm not suree which to use

What Old Codger is saying is provided that the blocks are adequately sealed from the elements then fill ya boots.

However, you mentioned that the wall would be curved.

Blocks are large units and do not lend themselves well to being laid in a curve. More like a thrupenny bit! Hence the reluctance from Old Bu**er.

If the radius of the curve is not too tight it is possible to use block 'n' render.

Sponsored Links
P.S. You will still need to show some (brick) engineers up to 150mm above ground level. ;)

Why not use brick. Much easier to achieve a curve. Doesn't need rendering (which will eventually crack anyway) and looks much nicer.

You must also remember that when finishing (coping) a curved wall off you will need to use a soldier brick header as coping sets will look daft as they are too long and will not curve.

Also if the radius is tight a standard width 2' coping may not be wide enough to deal with the render as well as the curve because the curve of the wall means that the coping provides less cover in places throughout its length.

Eh? :confused: :rolleyes: :LOL:

You will have to draw it to see what i mean. Draw a pair of curved parallel lines on a piece of paper then superimpose a long rectangle on top and you will see what i mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back