Which Boiler is best

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy a new combi boiler but don't know what's suitable for my requirements. Here's the breakdown on what the boiler will need to cope with:

3 Floors
3 Rads on ground floor
4 Rads on 1st floor + shower in bathroom
4 Rads on 2nd floor + shower in 2nd bathroom

Some make/model names would be appreciated and/or what sort of Kw output and flowrate I should be looking for.

Sponsored Links
You need to learn that a combi can only supply one outlet at a time generally.

My advice is that you might be better with a stored hot water supply or a hybrid solution.

Even the larger combis only give 12-14 li/min.

The heating load is under 10 kW so any combi would be suitable.

Why dont you take advice from your CORGI registered installer?

Tony

the bigger combis will give about 16-17litres per minute (cold mains depending)..............this is adequate to reasonalby suppy 2 taps at once.

The Baxi 133HE is a good boiler as is the 40kw Worcester CDI.

The Worcester Greenstar 440 will supply 2 outlets with hot water simultaneously provided the mains pressure is up to it (as always).

I recently tested a brand new installation to see how it stacks up against the claims of it's manufacturer and they are pretty much spot on ... Just short of 20l per min running a bath which is quite respectable really.

Common sense prevails though and I wouldn't run a bath on full flow whilst my wife was having a shower and, if I was ever tempted to do so, I would install restrictors in the hot pipe to the bath to prevent my folly and keep my collection of dangly objects firmly attached where they belong :LOL:

It really is a first class combi boiler, though, which will give many years of trouble-free usage but you will pay top dollar for it.

I guess the old adage "you get what you pay for" is pretty accurate ;)

Sponsored Links
esra_ptrap said:
The Worcester Greenstar 440 will supply 2 outlets with hot water simultaneously provided the mains pressure is up to it (as always).

I recently tested a brand new installation to see how it stacks up against the claims of it's manufacturer and they are pretty much spot on ... Just short of 20l per min running a bath which is quite respectable really.

Common sense prevails though and I wouldn't run a bath on full flow whilst my wife was having a shower and, if I was ever tempted to do so, I would install restrictors in the hot pipe to the bath to prevent my folly and keep my collection of dangly objects firmly attached where they belong :LOL:

It really is a first class combi boiler, though, which will give many years of trouble-free usage but you will pay top dollar for it.

I guess the old adage "you get what you pay for" is pretty accurate ;)

I agree the 440 is a beast but please remember it will only deliver 20litres per min until the store is depleated. it then drops to approx 10.5 litres per minute.....not increadible. it will soon deplete the store if you are running a bath and someone else is washing up.

The bigger wall mounted combi's like the ones mentioned will deliver 16-17 litres per minute indefinatly. i think this is the better option and about half the cost and less space aswell. There is also less components to fail on the wall hung boilers (such as no condensate pump).

HarrogateGas Wrote:
I agree the 440 is a beast but please remember it will only deliver 20litres per min until the store is depleated. it then drops to approx 10.5 litres per minute.....not increadible. it will soon deplete the store if you are running a bath and someone else is washing up.

Where did you get these figures from as this is not my experience of this boiler and I've installed quite a few?

Have you ever installed one?

Ive installed one of the 440's but many of the 400's over the years.

Ive stopped putting them in for the reason i gave you above. You can get a cheaper boiler that in my opinion out performs the 440 and is less obrusive. it is easier to install and has less failure rates too.

The 440 I put in about a year ago had had Worcester to it 9 times within the last year for various igniton faults. (Gas Valve, Electrodes, Seals etc)

It is also now on its third condensate pump.

Worcester have offered the customer a new boiler if if it fails again within ghte next 6 months. She wont have another highflow 440 though.

I think the Vokera Linea max is a better unit than the new 440.

You've only fitted one 440 and ...

The 440 I put in about a year ago had had Worcester to it 9 times within the last year for various igniton faults. (Gas Valve, Electrodes, Seals etc)
It is also now on its third condensate pump.

What do your mates call you ... Lucky? :LOL:

This isn't the norm with the 440 and it is a whole load better than the 400, really no comparison.

The way the 440 maintains the store should give the same consistent flow rate as the 40CDI at max chat IMO and requires less gas which may be a consideration for the poster if long pipe runs are involved.

OP's choice ;)

I certainly wouldn`t want the gas bill from running a 40 cdi on full tilt. Gas valve sounds like a jet engine it sucks so much gas through :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back