Which boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my boiler is on its last legs nearly thirty years old. I am looking at a new boiler and wonder if to replace with like for like a regular boiler with cold water tank and hot water cylinder. Ive been looking at a combi boiler so I can do away with the tanks but I like a bath and people have told me that the water is never hot enough and is useless in the house for a bath. Any thoughts?
X Tully.

Sponsored Links
If you have functional tanks and cylinder then go for a heat only boiler and not a combi.

To get a decent flow of hot water from a combi it has to be able to produce at least 30 kW of heat, but to keep the house warm may only require 5 kW ( look at the rating of your present boiler ) so teh combi has to be able to work at 30 plus kW and at 5 kW ( of less ). Hence it is a compromise design.

Combis were developed for fitting into small houses and flats where there was no space to install storage tanks and hot water cylinders.

Why is your boiler on its last legs?
If its 30yrs old there,s not a lot that can go wrong with it,
Its going to consist of cast iron sections a gas valve thermostat and some basic wiring.
We look after boilers in excess of 30yrs of age and perform well.

Sponsored Links
would luv it if every boiler I went to was 30 years old....Service engineer heaven and v little hassle.They very rarely breakdown unlike modern combi's that pack up if you look at them wrong!!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back