Which bolts..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to build my timber base for 6x5m shed.

The timbers need to be bolted to my upright concrete posts i have cemented into ground (100x100) and the timbers are 7x2.

Im aware i dont want them pulling through.. should i use large washers or are there purpose bolts and washers i use, i guess i should use 2 per post vertical lined?

Was looking at these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-m12-timber-connector-galvanised-dx275-50mm-x-50mm-50-pack/99094

Its more about stopping head pulling through timber im concerned, i see they do some large square washers also.

Sponsored Links
Provided you will never ever want to undo them, and are happy to use a hacksaw when demolishing, buy some galvanised studding in the largest size that will fit. I think it is M8. Possibly M10. It is quite cheap and easy to fit. Penny washers will do. You can grease and paint it, but it will still rust. You cut the lengths after assembly.

If you ever hope to unscrew it, use stainless. If you are obsessive, use stainless acorn or dome nuts on the outside for their beauty and because they will not scratch you when you brush past. Stainless needs Nickel anti-seize grease.

Large bolts work out more expensive.

p.s.
The round timber connectors with teeth in your link are meant to go between two pieces of wood to prevent rotation on the bolt. They are not what you need and will not work on a concrete post.

With two bolts or studs, the posts will not pivot or rotate.

Last edited:
We bought galvanised nuts bolts etc for a timber framed house in 1980 from Galvanised Bolts and Nuts Ltd in City Road London N1 and they are still in good condition 37 years later including those exposed to the weather. Some were 20 mm diameter.

The company's present registered address is 115 Lodgefield Road, Halesowen, West Midlands, B62 8AX

Sponsored Links
Generally, it's square washers to stop pull through.

Those spur washers are to join timber to timber to add strength to beams, and won't do anything to stop bolts slipping.

Better still, Google for "Joyner Bolt "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back