Which Caulk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone recommend me a good quality caulk. I need one for covering cracks between walls/ceiling joint.

Also I've just read somewhere on the net that primer is recommended over the caulk before matt paint is applied, is this the case???? :confused:

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Polycell, Dulux/ICI , Beeline etc from a TRADE store , the stuff from B&Q , Homebase etc is too thin/watery !
You dont need to prime ..

I used to use Painters Mate by Dow cornings but found that even after waiting 24 hours the emulsion would develop hair line cracks. Years later I also noticed discolouration.

I tried loads of other brands, they were either to thick, too thin or tasted awful.

I now use Everbuild 125- it is the BEST that i have ever tried and at 85p it is also one of the cheapest if you get it from

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...nts/Decorators+Caulk+310ml/d180/sd2350/p26394

When using other brands I do overcoat with BIN prior to using emulsion

Hello

Can anyone recommend me a good quality caulk. I need one for covering cracks between walls/ceiling joint.

Also I've just read somewhere on the net that primer is recommended over the caulk before matt paint is applied, is this the case???? :confused:

Thanks

Phil
if you are going to put matt over it. then use zinsters or a satin or silk paint over the caulk that should stop the cracking. ps or even oil undercoat.

Sponsored Links
I use caulk every day and the only time I ever see any signs of cracking is if I paint over it before its properly cured , you shouldnt need to prime it as its acrylic

which brand do you use???

When I emailed dow corning they just passed the buck and suggested that the paint was inferior (dulux trade emulsion).

Cant remember if I mentioned (in the email) the discoloration that was taking place months later.

I just checked in my van, this week its been ICI Polyfilla, last week it was Mangers and some Vallance...Theyre all much the same from trade counters from my experience ;)

I've used Cerafix from B&Q, its cheap stuff but maybe thats why the cracks re-appear.

Phil

Ive used the cheapest stuff from screwfix (about £1 a tube) all over my house, and it works perfectly. Cracks only appear if you use loads of it.
It does shrink if appied thickly, but I think that happens with all of them.

Ive tried the more expensive stuff and its pretty much the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back