Which Consumer unit?

breezer said:
ban-all-sheds said:
One thing I have learned in my time here is that there really are people out there who are so clueless that they must surely need a map to find their way home each day.

For example yesterday on the Screwfix forum somebody posted because the 12V adapter on his desklamp had broken and he wanted to know if he could fit a normal plug instead.... :eek:

tell me about it, :rolleyes: for my sins i have "my fingers in a few pies" and i get some questions that are just as bad, i think in regard to electrical work, as has been said before, some things some people just shouldn't do. But in a way i feel sorry for them, its a pity you can not buy "common sense in a box", i would make a fortune, but then perhaps not, as they wouldn't have the common sense to notice that they needed it

I would suggest that they have enough common sense to at least ask someone who might know!

Tell me, whats it like perfect to be so ;)

Sponsored Links
firegazer said:
I would suggest that they have enough common sense to at least ask someone who might know!

Tell me, whats it like perfect to be so ;)

I agree........

To you and me...its quite easy to say "DUH...." because we know...and a lot of it we may be put down to common sense but as firegazer said "they asked" so obviously they were unsure.....

I waggle my finger at you, and say "if you cant play nice....don't play at all"

ban-all-sheds said:
sterose said:
ban-all-sheds said:
I would question whether you are "competent to do the job" if you're contemplating having the kitchen ring without mcb protection....

I think what he meant was should he have it without RCD protection, not MCB.

It would be comforting to think that, wouldn't it.

But that's not what he wrote. I agree it would be nice to think he was just careless in what he wrote, but who knows?

One thing I have learned in my time here is that there really are people out there who are so clueless that they must surely need a map to find their way home each day.

For example yesterday on the Screwfix forum somebody posted because the 12V adapter on his desklamp had broken and he wanted to know if he could fit a normal plug instead.... :eek:

ban-all-sheds said:
But that's not what he wrote. I agree it would be nice to think he was just careless in what he wrote, but who knows?

You're probably right....

OK guys thanks for the replies. I should have spent more time in preparing the first post.

I am competent to do the job, I am not experienced at doing it but nevertheless that doesn't mean that it cannot be done and be done safely. I seek you expertise to guide me and not knowing the answer in the first place does not mean that I am not competent enough to learn so please guys give us a break.

I certainly would not have the consumer unit connected without an inspection and the necessary checks done by a qualified electrician and you are all correct in that regard.

I take great satisfaction in doing the labour element and owe all that to you guys and yes I can see from your comments that there are idiots out there that shouldn't touch a thing.

With your help I have now bought the split load unit and it will be connected up soon so apart from the definition of competent THANKS EVERYONE for your help.

Another job almost finished thanks to an excellent forum.

Sponsored Links
Yes am talking 3036's. I was surprised too. The flat ws leased and the landlady rang me up every week to say that the lighting fuse was blowing.

in each case, I replaced the wire, switched back on and lo, a lamp had gone.

So in the end, I advised to throw all the existing lamps in the bin and go out & buy a shed-load of Osram - I swear by them.

They are double fused.

Those of you with a technical streak will know that good quality lamps have Ballotini fuses in them (named after the italian geezer that invented them). these blow in preference to the protective device when the lamp blows.

Any how, when they had installed Mr Osram's finest, the problem completely went away.....until they moved out!!!!!!

securespark said:
Those of you with a technical streak will know that good quality lamps have Ballotini fuses in them (named after the italian geezer that invented them). these blow in preference to the protective device when the lamp blows.

No they don't. Not if your protective devices are 5A Type 1s. They trip if you so much as look at them sideways. And I use reputable bulbs - G.E. (not Mazda, although might be the same factory), which are fused, and the MCBs trip every time...

But are they double fused, like Osram??

Do me a favour and buy a few Osram lamps, and if they trip then I'll send you a cheque for the lamps!!

Genuine never to be repeated offer!!!!

You reckon that being type 1 not B they are more sensitive??

Try Osram anyway, I bet they'll be OK.

They say they have a Ballotini fuse.

I might take you up on your Osram offer :D

Type 1's are more sensitive than B's, and being 5A not 6 makes them even more so

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back