Which Cowl Will Be Best For Chimney Shaped Like This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate some advice about a cowl to stop rain coming down chimney when rain is heavy - especially with some wind too. The chimney/fireplace isn't used, and fireplace is still open to room.

The chimney tapers at the top, so wasn't sure what would be best. Just after something basic to stop water coming in.

IMAGES MAY BE PLAYING UP - CHIMNEY IS FIRST 2 PICTURES IN GALLERY -

//www.diynot.com/diy/media/albums/toupee.207/

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Buy yourself a clay base for a flower pot turn upside down an stick it in place
with something like geocel 201 or simply make a cap out of lead.

Buy yourself a clay base for a flower pot turn upside down an stick it in place
with something like geocel 201 or simply make a cap out of lead.

Couple of good suggestions. Thanks.

Like the lead idea. My bossing stick hasn't seen much action since college days. May have another go.

Another question about the lead option. I am going to use lead as no other capping is suitable for the narrow top. Will just dressing the lead over the top and down the sides, say 6 inches be ok on it's own? Or do I need to also fix it somehow. If the image is clicked on to enlarge it, there are small holes on the sides near the top. Should I use these to secure the lead and what would be the best fixing?

IMAGES MAY BE PLAYING UP - CHIMNEY IS FIRST 2 PICTURES IN GALLERY -

//www.diynot.com/diy/media/albums/toupee.207/

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back