Which descaler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What descaler do you people use when you have removed the dhw plate exchanger, i have put a hose pipe through it and the scale will not come out, also who stocks the seals for an alpha 240 eco heat exchanger. any sensible replies ?

Sponsored Links
I dont I replace the thing

Never managed to clean one properly yet

others will disagree

:)

Sponsored Links
There must be something that does an ok job? I don't really want to spend over £120 on a new one when I could clean the one I have.

Similar to above - do you have to buy the whole Heat Exchanger seal kit or is there a DHW HEX Seal Kit of its own?

Thanks!

dont know ask the stockists

i amsorry but as nothing i have every used has worked that well i cannot recommend anything

Nitric acid use it on commercial dish washers and the like. very dangerous if you dont know what your doing. For the sake of £120 your beter off saving your eyes and fingers ;)

The problem with replacing a plate exchanger due to blocking is that the problem will come back. It is not that limescale that causes the problem but the shyte in your system that they forgot to remove when the boiler was replaced.
Does your boiler have an alloy primary heat exchanger?

If it's a steel one you can use citric acid. This is only a diy remedy, because as soon as you have a path for the descaler to take, everywhere else gets missed.

You should fit a water treatment device like a combimate. DON'T use a magic magnet or the electronic equivalentits all smoke and mirrors.

if it is a steel one, get the system powerflushed and treated with inhibitor, will solve the problem and prevent it from ever coming back

There's a very recent post on this - do a search.
I've not failed to clean one yet. Usually in about 15 minutes, sparkly clean.
The first will probably be tomorrow...
Nitric acid is horrid - HCl much less so. CItric works but takes maybe 40 minutes hot.

There's a very recent post on this - do a search.
I've not failed to clean one yet. Usually in about 15 minutes, sparkly clean.
The first will probably be tomorrow...

Alright alright Flash Harry no need to make me look bad

;)

:)

At the "argi" Ravenheat day a couple of months ago John Wilson swore by "wood decking cleaner" for heat exchangers. I haven't tried it, but wonder if any of the other lads who were there have.

Did he name a brand Ray
Give this a try Chris,,, oh go on be a guinea pig for us all

He said that he uses wood decking cleaner from"wilkinsons", although I think that was because he said he gets it cheaper there than elswhere. He didn't mention a brand in particular unless I missed that bit. Dave Or Tony should be able to confirm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back