Which drill and bit to drill a lintal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the best way to drill through a window lintal.
I'm fiitting a shower curtain and must have hit the lintal as this is quite close to the top of the bathroom window. My drill is a new Bosh 18V - wasn't cheap - I'm using the masonary drill bits that came with the drill (apparantly diamond tipped) on Hammer. I got about half an inch into the wall and the bit was going nowhere fast and the sound and vibration was very intense.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
cordless 18v.....you need an SDS...cordless or corded :cry: your hammer drill (if that`s what it is) will Never do it....sorry...I`ve been there+ got the T shirt...back in the 70`s hammer drill + rawlplug "jumper" :eek: got holes eventually in concrete column, but took about 10 times as long as a modern SDS. PS...it could be a steel lintel :idea: Idea of house age :?:

If it's a steel lintel you’ve hit, use a HSS drill bit to drill through the steel. Once through the steel, revert back to the tipped masonry drill as the concrete wont do the HSS drill bit much good. If your careful, you should be able to get several holes out of it before re-sharpening though.

Sponsored Links
Was a pressie from my miss (will blame her) :D

Don't let a shower curtain come between a loving relationship - more fun without one :eek:

(curtain not missus)

SDS drill if it's a concrete lintel - your battery drill wont cope. Although from the tools thread, a Hilti battery drill will and so will 7.2v Makita screw/impact driver (sorry guys couldn't resist) :LOL:

If its steel (you may hear a screeching from the bit) then a HSS metal bit on a slow speed

i know i'm late with this post and the drilling is probably done but i would suggest you never drill a lntel as you may weaken it

Someone suggested i didnt drill a couple of holes in some steel work a while back. I looked at them and laughed.

I wonder how its all bolted together without any holes then :rolleyes: :LOL:

i know i'm late with this post and the drilling is probably done but i would suggest you never drill a lntel as you may weaken it
The factor of safety involved in structural lintel design means that drilling a couple of holes it to fix a curtain pole is perfectly OK; they would have to be bloody big holes to have any appreciable effect on its strength! As has already been said, it’s common to bolt steel channels back-to-back when assembling structural steelwork to support large openings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back