Which heat-only boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. Realise this may be a contentious question but which heat only boiler are the professionals recommending at the moment?

It's an open vented system and we have a water softener which I believe rules out anything with an aluminium heat exchanger.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As a non professional ( ie no financial influence from manufacturers of boilers ) I would suggest an open mind and look at some of the less well known but equally good boiler manufacturers. My boiler is a Johnson and Starley with a stainless steel heat exchanger, there are other manufacturers that like J&S can sell by reputation alone.
Some manufacturers sell by strong marketing and incentives to installers to recommend their products.

Look at Intergas. Aluminium heat exchanger but copper tubes to carry system water

What is the problem with current boiler?

It's a Protherm 60-80 CI and needs a fan, ignition electrode and primary heat exchanger which makes it way beyond economical repair in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
As a non professional ( ie no financial influence from manufacturers of boilers ) I would suggest an open mind and look at some of the less well known but equally good boiler manufacturers. My boiler is a Johnson and Starley with a stainless steel heat exchanger, there are other manufacturers that like J&S can sell by reputation alone.
Some manufacturers sell by strong marketing and incentives to installers to recommend their products.

J&S Gas boiler?? Now you're having a laff BG!!

Potterton/Baxi all day long. Great wee boilers & bullet proof.

Thanks everyone. I knew I'd get as many different answers as there were people replying :)

The Potterton SL Heat is an interesting and unusual design. Looks very simple and robust. Future maintenance looks easy.

Intergas has more tech and supports OpenTherm which is of interest to me. They all cost about the same.

Intergas all the way for heat only, not sure what there tech/support is like but good bit of kit as it's very simple design and heat ex is like 22mm pipe so can't see it blocking up
Good luck

Intergas all the way for heat only, not sure what there tech/support is like but good bit of kit as it's very simple design and heat ex is like 22mm pipe so can't see it blocking up
Good luck

Have to agree, Intergas seems to be the rising star and I am trying to wean my customers onto the brand... still trying to free up a day or two to go visit their centre (@Razor900 (y))

Not keen on the combi set up vessel behind boiler is not a good move and valves break off easy after a while as the brass bit behind plastic lever, the rapid is ok but only 6l vessel where there seems to be room for an 8l.
Heat only very good as the system as you can locate the vessel in airing cupboard by cylinder etc

It's always the bloody ev's... on lots of boilers... do they think they'll be trouble free for the life of the unit? Have to say, this is where Vaillant make it easy.

Any rnd dept that design vessel at the back needs to go out with the in house engineers when replacing one when it's in an awkward position etc maybe they would think twice!!!

Any rnd dept that design vessel at the back needs to go out with the in house engineers when replacing one when it's in an awkward position etc maybe they would think twice!!!

Builders and architects my friend :)
My son wants to be a product designer and I drum into him how important field experience is... job requirements don't seem to agree :cautious:

I've never had problems replacing EV on boilers; 15 minutes, it's off the wall & it gives you complete access to everything. Some guys are really lacking joined up thinking or course cowboys with limited experience?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back