Which internal socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So as some of you guys may know I'm about to fit a socket behind the TV on the chimney breast.

I will be using
2.5mm twin and E cable.
13A double socket ..( shall this be single or double pole ??)
25mm metal back box ( is this right size ?)
Grommet
PVC conduit

In terms of filling
PVA glue
Bonding powder
Easifil powder.

Does this all sound right?

Sponsored Links
Possibly right. Hopefully you have some of the minor bits and pieces that any DIYer should have
I'd add screws, wall plugs.
Just Easyfil for making good. You dont need PVA & bonding
13A double socket ..( shall this be single or double pole ??)
25mm metal back box ( is this right size ?)
Doesnt really matter is single or double pole
25mm box are too shallow for many sockets plus wires. Go for the 35mm and make it easier on youreself.

Conduit: what sort? where would you think you'll need conduit? Or do you mean capping?

The big question that I have is: from where will you be taking the supply? That needs looking at bbefore you start chopping.

Fill with plaster, not filler

Easiplast will do, but joint cement is better

Use a broad metal filling knife to press it level with the plastered wall at each side

Do not overfill it above the surrounding wall

If you do overfill it, use a broad metal scraper to shave off the excess before it hardens. Then wet your filling knife and press it down smooth.

Scraping off soft new plaster is a hundred times easier, and a thousand times cleaner, than sanding off hard plaster or filler.

Use 16mm cable clips to hold your oval conduit firm in the chase before you start to fill. If they stick out, leave a gap in the plaster so you can pull the pins out the next day, and then fill the gap.

Use a builders canister vac for the dust, not a domestic vac, which will be ruined

Personally I like to set electrical backboxes in sand and cement mortar. It is much stronger and has a long working time. You can leave it slightly recessed below the surface and plaster smooth the next day. Spray the hole with water to prevent it sucking the mortar dry. If you can keep it damp for at least a day it will be stronger.

Possibly right. Hopefully you have some of the minor bits and pieces that any DIYer should have
I'd add screws, wall plugs.
Just Easyfil for making good. You dont need PVA & bonding

Doesnt really matter is single or double pole
25mm box are too shallow for many sockets plus wires. Go for the 35mm and make it easier on youreself.

Conduit: what sort? where would you think you'll need conduit? Or do you mean capping?

The big question that I have is: from where will you be taking the supply? That needs looking at bbefore you start chopping.

Thank you...I will be chasing the wall to hide the cables.. then take it under floor boards make holes in joist and take it around to the side of the chimney breast and put it in the switched fused box which is spurred of the side socket.

As per this picture. So I will need trunking or conduit for the t and e cable. Which side would I need ?

Sponsored Links
As per this picture. So I will need trunking or conduit for the t and e cable. Which side would I need ?
Ah, no picture. Do you mean size, or side?
Are you extending the ring - that means two cables - or running a spur?
please reply to my earlier query
The big question that I have is: from where will you be taking the supply? That needs looking at bbefore you start chopping

Fill with plaster, not filler

Easiplast will do, but joint cement is better

Use a broad metal filling knife to press it level with the plastered wall at each side

Do not overfill it above the surrounding wall

If you do overfill it, use a broad metal scraper to shave off the excess before it hardens. Then wet your filling knife and press it down smooth.

Scraping off soft new plaster is a hundred times easier, and a thousand times cleaner, than sanding off hard plaster or filler.

Use 16mm cable clips to hold your oval conduit firm in the chase before you start to fill. If they stick out, leave a gap in the plaster so you can pull the pins out the next day, and then fill the gap.

Use a builders canister vac for the dust, not a domestic vac, which will be ruined

Personally I like to set electrical backboxes in sand and cement mortar. It is much stronger and has a long working time. You can leave it slightly recessed below the surface and plaster smooth the next day. Spray the hole with water to prevent it sucking the mortar dry. If you can keep it damp for at least a day it will be stronger.

Oh nice. Very handy advice there.

And I completely forgot about the clips for the conduit as it will be brick it will be getting hammered into.

Do you have a link for the clips? Wouldn't the 16mm be too small ?

Ah, no picture. Do you mean size, or side?
Are you extending the ring - that means two cables - or running a spur?
please reply to my earlier query

Sorry its here.
Screenshot_20240312_184700_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20240312_184636_WhatsApp.jpg

16mm is not the size of the clip, it is the name for a cable whose copper wires are each 16 square mm. It's the largest size you are likely to see in a house. You'll only need half a dozen or so, unless you plan to chase in more conduit, so you might get them on ebay rather than buying a boxfull.

TC918G.jpeg

When you are in the shop, look at the conduit and the clips.

I prefer it to conduit clips for this job because it lies on top of the conduit, not underneath, and once the conduit is plastered enough to stay in place (hard not soft) you can pull the nails out and remove the clip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back