Which is the best reasonably priced humidity extractor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can somebody guide me to best humidity extractor to buy please? It’s for our kitchen/dining room which is L-shaped. Kitchen is about 6m long and 2.6m wide with dinning bit being end part of that and about 5.6m x 3.8m.

We are hoping to renew the kitchen in the next couple of years but for the moment we have an extractor over the hob which has a filter but does not go to the outside (to be changed when we do the kitchen). We have trickle vents on some of the windows and it gets a bit humid in there when my wife cooks; she likes to cook a fair bit.

I would like to fit a humidity extractor (I am a retired electrical engineer). I prefer one that has a plane plate at the front instead of visible grills for looks if there is a good one. I’ve watched online videos of plenty that look nice but don’t actually shift much air. I would like one of the very low wattage virtually silent ones if possible that does do a good job.

This extractor is to be fitted over the side access door we have, it won’t be the main kitchen extractor; I will fit a new one over the new hob to extract to the outside when we renew the kitchen in a couple of years so this extractor is more for the dining room end of the kitchen to reduce the humidity build up.

So what is the best one/make etc., preferably one that you fit and forget about?

On reading up it seems there is more chance of having problems if I buy a humidity controlled fan compared to the ones that come on with the lights etc. I read stuff about them not coming on at all after a few months and some that never stopped. Is there a nice looking quiet reliable one I could buy?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Kitchen smells and grease are different to humidity, I looked at reducing the moisture generation first. So gas cooking is non starter, all electric, however some people like gas, however gas produces flue gases when it burns, so a vented cooker hood is essential with gas, where with electric a carbon pad to absorb odours is enough.

So the answer must take into account if using gas or electric to cook with. And also how hot the kitchen is, these
3109pS4dQLL._AC_UL160_.jpg
are hardly required when the kitchen is too hot, and as to if they can be cleaned I question. Even a simple duct to a cooker hood can get full of grease. So even where the kitchen is matters, ours is north facing, so does not get too hot.

So how warm is the area you want to vent? Have you any fire with what is considered as an open flue, i.e. draws combustion air from the room?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back