Which JCT contract?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to build a double-storey side extension and a rear single extension but which contract do I use? The build cost is in the region of £85K.

I've had a look at the FMB one but it seems to be too simple.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've had a look at the FMB one but it seems to be too simple.

Thanks

Why is it too simple for a domestic extension?

Are you expecting lots of clauses and conditions to complicate the whole thing?

The cost is irrelevant, its the scope of the works which should determine the contract.

For this type of work, you could cover everything in 10-15 bullet points

NHB: Woodster writes some surveyor-type shi'ite :LOL: at times, but this is not one of them. Take note!

Sponsored Links
The FMB contract states that payments are every 14 days whilst we want payments to be in stages, DPC, joist level, eaves levels, roof complete, 1st and 2nd fix.

Do you think we could just cross out the 14 days and put in what we want?

And what about the joint account business? Can we just cross any non relevant bits?

Thanks

You don't have to use any standard form of contract, but you can use one as a basis on which to draw up your own, or you can amend it as you suggest.

Contract law is on the basis of offer and acceptance, so as long as the contractor is aware of the changes and agrees to them at the time of pricing, you have concensus ad idem and it's binding on you both. Unless it's an unfair term.

We coincide our billing with (successful) b.c. visits. In other words the customer pays when a stage is passed.

However, we do require some forward payment in order for the job to progress at the early stages, particularly when excavating or when large amounts of materials have been delivered to the site.

These payments cover things other than our personal wages and are entirely beneficial to the customer and the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back