Which liability insurance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at going out on my own so just getting a few quotes together for public liability insurance and indemnity insurance.
Can anyone recommend any particular companies?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm looking at going out on my own so just getting a few quotes together for public liability insurance and indemnity insurance.
Can anyone recommend any particular companies?

Thanks
I would start with clarifying the requirements of your competent persons scheme membership - they require minimum amounts for PLI and indemnity insurance.
It will also depend on whether or not you are completing Electrical Condition Reports or not.
Then go on one of the compare business insurance websites.

Duplicate - the system is playing up today - very slow!!!!

Your location and work activities will dictate your premium.
As pointed out by riveralt, if you intend to become a member of a scheme, would be worth sounding out there requirements.
You wont go far wrong be using the money supermarket and the simply business websites.
If your canny, you could also consider joining up on cash-back website and link through that to get cash-back, also some insurance companies do special deals for start ups.

Sponsored Links
I use trade direct insurance, and they seem ok, but I've never had to make a claim.

Some of the companies I sub-contract to require me to have £5M PL insurance.

You might also need professional indemnity insurance depending on what sort of work you'll be doing.

You might want to think about tool insurance. You can't work without them. Could you afford to replace them if they were stolen?

Also think about insurance if you become injured. A few weeks where you can't work, and the money can run out very quickly.

Yes that was my next question. I was looking at going with Napit, they ask for £2 million PLI and £250,000 indemnity insurance as I will be covering condition reports.
Anyone with Napit?

You might want to think about tool insurance. You can't work without them. Could you afford to replace them if they were stolen?

Also think about insurance if you become injured. A few weeks where you can't work, and the money can run out very quickly.

Thanks RF some good points there

Yes that was my next question. I was looking at going with Napit, they ask for £2 million PLI and £250,000 indemnity insurance as I will be covering condition reports.
Anyone with Napit?
I was and used their own insurance company because they were the cheapest for indemnity insurance - it is very expensive compare to PLI.
They also do the tools etc.
After a few years with them and the premiums rising (as usual) they agreed to drop the PLI max required to £1m.
Good Luck by the way!

I'm with Brit insurance, they seem very good. I noticed they sponsor the English cricket team.

Andy

I insured with Trade Direct for a while and then switched to NAPIT (I'm a member) as it was cheaper and gave me the cover NAPIT required.
Its easier too as I don't have to keep telling NAPIT what the policy details and dates are

they know it already.

I'm with napit, but they couldn't cover me withy the PLI insurance as I said ther was a chance I cold be doing work on machinery, feed mills etc. apparently they would only cover me upto the isolator of such equipment. I'm with a small local firm, and paying near on £900 for my PLI and indemnity insurance, but that's the best quote I could get..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back