Which Mobility Scooter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not referring to Which?, as they have not reviewed one big enough for my requirements.

TGA seem to be well-thought of and I am leaning towards a used Breeze 4 or S4.

Could do with a solid canopy which there don't seem to be any second hand.

Want to upgrade the batteries. 45 - 75Ah is the official upgrade but if there is space, I'd like bigger.

Want a tow bracket as well. Don't laugh, have a look at this...

TGA tell me they don't make tow brackets*. But there is one on the market, however it uses the same fixing points as the canopy, so having both a canopy and a tow bar is not possible.

*Having said that, I found this for other models but not the Breeze 4/ S4.

https://www.tgamobility.co.uk/accessories-spares/caddy-lightweight-trailer

I need an amber beacon too, just in case.

Does anyone rate the TGA Breeze, or any other mobility scooters?

Sponsored Links
I understand that, as always in society, some will flout rules that most follow. However, if you knew about these things, you would know that Class 3 mobility vehicles are now issued with a V5C (and although they don't have to bear the registration mark, they can) by the DVLA. The user has to apply for RFL and the vehicle needs to have lights, indicators, horn and mirrors. When driven on dual carriageways, an amber beacon must be fitted and used.
Insurance is optional I know, but highly recommended.

Class 2 vehicles (up to 4mph max) are limited to the pavement and if a Class 3 vehicle is used on a pavement, it must be limited to 4 mph.

Sponsored Links
Forgot rear reflectors and a manual handbrake.

Now, have you got anything helpful?

It's the bits they don't tell you about, mother is amputee so there is no getting off the scooter to walk into a shop, if using the scooter it must go everywhere just like the wheel chair, so it seems must be limited to 4 MPH to be able to drive on the pavement. Insurance is on the house policy just in case she hits some one, there was a local case where old lady had to sell house to settle claim after hitting a shop assistance. However when I thought my mother was going to hit some one I stood in the way, it did not hurt me when it hit me, so how one can injure some one so much I don't know.

Although in theory you can drive on pavement in practice parked cars often stop that, so you have some one doing 4 MPH on the road.

They have no user operated brakes, the unit is retarded then braked once you release the control. However it can travel 12" even on lowest speed setting before the brakes come on, so more like driving a bumping car. The control has also been known to stick, with no independent brakes by time user realises it's not stopping, too late.

The Sterling Sapphire 2 was not a cheap scooter, at the time of buying it was the only one which would allow mothers leg which would not bend to rest on a foot rest, and could be taken to bits to load in a car. One plus point, mothers eyes are bad, and on the prom at Rhyl she though a line of different colour floor tiles was a pretty patten not a curb until last moment, when she did realise she gripped the brakes, however they were not brakes it was the accelerator, so at an angle, she shot off the curb without tipping or doing any harm to the scooter.

Going in the park with my late father, we found in the centre of the circular walk there was a kissing gate, since it could be easy dismantle and re-built I was able to re-build it the other side of the gate, it seems there should have been a RADAR key lock on the by-pass gate, but it had been changed for standard padlock.

There are some faster scooters, 8 MPH is still zero road tax, and some will do 20 MPH and look more like a tricycle than scooter, you need a licence for some of those, and clearly not allowed on the pavement without a disabled badge.

There seems to be some units which can be switched between 4 and 8 MPH, it is debatable if allowed on the pavement, there are capable of 8 MPH so it would seem even in 4 MPH mode are not allowed on pavement. However be it a push bike, or a parked car the pavement is used by vehicles able to exceed 4 MPH. I got stopped on a push bike for riding on the pavement, I pointed out from where I had come from there was a round blue sign showing a bike, which means I must ride the bike on the pavement, the policeman could fine me for riding on the road, it seems the council had failed to put up the end of cycle track sign. As a result of poor signs by county council it is a free for all, no one can be sure if you should ride a bike on road or pavement. At least in North Wales. You are allowed to ride the 8 MPH units on a cycle track, so the Police turn a blind eye to switch-able units ridden on the pavement. I will expect to find this varies area to area?

The scooter also has an over speed device, should it over speed even with the unit set in free wheel the brakes come on. I have had it stop in middle of the road, when I said to mother hurry up, it resulted in reverse. It also engages with the winch when I pull in into my car. Same is true for electric wheel chair, winch is too fast.

I have never had the batteries fail on me, should have a 20 mile range, and since I need to walk with my mother we have never gone 20 miles, it's too fast to walk with, and too slow to ride a bike with. Now around 14 years old not looked after, still original batteries.

AFAICT, all 8mph scoots are allowed on the pavement but 4mph is the maximum speed. As to the blue badge, IDK of any rule saying you need it to drive on the pavement, only to park in places where you would in a car as a blue badge holder.

Look at it the other way: is it compulsory to drive in the road?
I thought it was against the law to park on pavements, and clearly to park on pavement you must drive on it. However I found I was wrong and there is nothing to stop one. I seem to remember there is a distance that you are allowed to drive off the road, but this seems to have altered over time. This is the whole problem it's another let the courts decide and by that time it is a little late.

As to 4 MPH and 8 MPH unless you have to stop and swap something then it would be hard to show if the scooter was in 4 or 8 MPH mode. Having a switch which you can simply flick between 4 and 8 while driving is just the same as changing gear.

I have no experience of mobility scooters but find it difficult to understand how anyone would force the the kind of people who use them to go onto a busy road.

Also, surely they do not suddenly travel at only 4mph or 8mph from a standing start.
It is surely possible to drive at 1, 2, 3 or 4mph in either mode.

The rules are different for mobility scooters.

You don't need a licence or insurance. You don't have to drive on the road. You have a right to do so, but the authorities are worried about lots of squashed mobility scooter drivers, therefore the advice from the authorities is to do as pedestrians do. IE, drive on the pavement and negotiate junctions in the same way as pedestrians.

Effectively, the scooter is just a replacement for a pedestrian's legs.

As for allowing it on the pavement, whoever was in charge of making the rules decided on the 4 mph limit.

The law however is clear: on the pavement, even though mobility scooter drivers are effectively pedestrians with a mechanical means of propulsion, pedestrians who are using their legs for propulsion have right of way.

The problem, like so many laws, is making the general public aware of them.

Last edited:
I have no experience of mobility scooters but find it difficult to understand how anyone would force the the kind of people who use them to go onto a busy road.

I was a very confident driver, equally happy in a 3.5 ton van or 7.5 ton as a car, but I would be a bit nervous going on a road on any means of transport at 8 mph...

Also, surely they do not suddenly travel at only 4mph or 8mph from a standing start.
It is surely possible to drive at 1, 2, 3 or 4mph in either mode.

No, you're right, it is possible to do any of those speeds. Unless you're towing a Toyota Hi-ace....

I was run down in Tescos Weybridge by a woman on one of their disabled trolleys. Some of the people using these scooters seem to lack the ability to control them or simply expect people to get out of the way. They definitely need insurance.

article-2354543-1AA280A4000005DC-438_634x530.jpg

Got just the motor for you squire... One careful owner, a vicar - never wheelied or raced.

-0-

Although in theory you can drive on pavement in practice parked cars often stop that, so you have some one doing 4 MPH on the road.

Class 2 (4 mph) scooters are not allowed on the road, except to cross it or in the absence of any footpath.

Sponsored Links
Back