Which modern bulb to put in pir controlled bulkhead lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having done a search I can't seem to narrow down exactly what I need.

A bulb has just gone in one of my outdoor bulkhead style lights. These date from the 60's and still have old fashioned bulbs in them. They have been updated with a pir control for security or when we go outside for something, but other than that it's a traditional set up.

Rather than fitting old fashioned bulbs again, which is probably frowned upon anyway, is there a modern equivalent suitable for a pir controlled outdoor light? It's just that with the slow start up associated with energy saving bulbs, I've read that they are not suitable for pir's or regular short term on/off cycles that can happen with this type of lighting.

I thought there must be something new that I don't know about that is used now for this type of application. Much obliged if anyone can point me in the right direction, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it a screw (es) or bayonet (bc) type? What was the wattage rate?

Halogen bulbs save about 35% over a normal bulb. I use a fast start cfl modern spiral type, the timer is set for about 3 minutes and cover an external porch light on a pir.

Used 6 or so times every day, last one lasted two years. They will fail quicker, but 2 years even at 18 minutes a day is fine for my pocket- they cost £3 pr so.

It's a BC, probably 60 watt from memory.

I'll have a look at the halogen fast starters, thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back