which of these wireless burglar systems for a house?

Thanks for the clarifications on 1 way and 2 way. i am now split between the two. on one side i can see the significance of the feature on the other i am looking for a residential system and not protecting a huge fortune :cool: ! so may be for residential sysems one way may be ok.

decisions, decisions!

Sponsored Links
The "assumption" was based on results of an assessment of various radio linked alarm sensors.

The Yale technical help desk confirmed that the sensors in the DIY system do NOT send "I am here messages" and only transmit on motion detected, tamper or low battery.

Well maybe the technical desk do not know what they are talking about because there are definately the following status reports on sensors.

1. Tamper . . ie Tamper DC01

2. Low battery ie Low Battery DC01

3. Out of Order Out of Order DC01

Maybe the Out of order report is generated when a sensor fails to report its battery status?

The Out of order report shows up when either batteries are completely dead or RF inteference has occured.

In both cases the net result would be the same ie no battery status report being sent to the panel.

The system is obviously using the battery level indicator as its 'I am here' status which seems a perfectly logical solution to me.

Bernard stop asking questions off me and Yale because you are just getting half answers off them and ignoring me.

BUY ONE - TEST IT - REPORT BACK!!!

If you care whether the panel is visually obtrusive be aware the GT600 panel housing shown on the Risco website is not what they are now supplying - the supplied item is much bigger and in my view unnecessarily obtrusive

Sponsored Links
BUY ONE - TEST IT - REPORT BACK!!!
If a sensor goes out of range or suffers instant death then no alarm is raised and no indication is given to the user.

If a sensor dies a slow death from decaying batteries it will send messages stating that it needs a battery change.

If it is left fitted to a door frame when that door frame is removed from the building and taken away from the site then the panel will not be aware that one of its sensors is missing. The alarm can be set with no indication that a sensor is missing and an entry point no longer protected.

This was discovered during building work and confirmed by taking a learned in sensor out of range of its parent panel. Off air monitoring did not detect any transmissions from the sensor other than when it was triggered by motion.

The vast majority of DIY wireless alarm systems do provide a degree of protection and are designed to do the best that is possible with the contraints imposed by the use of one way communication on a licence exempt radio channel and the need to have a reasonable long battery life time.

It is up to the buyer to make an informed decision as to whether a system with those contraints will provide the protection they need.

The necessary accurate pre -purchase information seems to be lacking.

I was looking for an alarm installation a few months ago. I may be stirring a hornets nest, but I decided against a wireless system as I didn't have any confidence that any of them would work satisfactorily when the 4G/LTE mobile phone network is rolled out. The main 4G band (there are more than one) is very close to the wireless alarm frequency band. There is a report here http://www.rfdesignuk.com/Documents/tr_103056v010101p.pdf . Annex D appears to suggest that wireless alarm systems will experience interference from 4G handsets as far as 900m, or even further away. Of course they may be able to tolerate the interference, but I couldn't find anyone to provide a convincing answer on the point. I went for a wired system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back