Which power tools do I need for upcoming jobs?

if you really want an impact driver after you have bought a combi drill you could by a body only driver for around £75

Sponsored Links
The white Makita kit is just an alternative colour scheme to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Makita being founded. All the kit is available in blue, a subset is available in white.

Cajar is right - I have the 458 and it's a beast. I haven't bothered with my corded SDS for masonry drilling since I got it. But it's overkill for a casual DIYer.

I'm a Handyman which I suppose could be considered 40 hours a week doing anything that can be DIY'd. I have tools in the 10.8V and 18V Makita ranges. I use the 10.8V stuff on almost every job - it always goes with me. The 18V stuff only gets used on big construction type stuff. Here's my thoughts:

A Makita 10.8V drill driver will happily drive no.8 screws.

A Makita 10.8V combi can drill a few small 6mm holes in masonry e.g. for curtain rails, shelves etc with good quality bits and will also do what the drill/driver does.

A Makita 10.8V impact driver will drive pretty much any PZ2 screw but a beginner will find it pretty brutal fast and uncontrolable with small screws and delicate work.

The 18V range is much more powerful but it's heavier and more expensive. A casual diyer does not generally need an 18V impact driver unless they have lots of PZ3 screws to put in.

You will be fine with the 10.8V range. Spend the money saved on a decent level, a workbench, a mid range (e.g Hitachi) sliding compound mitre saw and some good quality drill bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back