Which Tumble Dryer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im looking to purchase a new Tumble Dryer ad wanted peoples opinions on which one to go for including make and model. I can either install a vented or condensor model. Looking for at least one with a 5kg capacity.

Budget of about 250

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Be aware that Vented driers are more efficient, cheaper to buy and run, more reliable and do not expel residual moisture into the house, like Condensor Driers.

The only unbiased source I know, that tests a wide range of domestic appliances, is the Consumer's Association. Walk to your local library and ask to look at their binder of "Which"

Looking at their member's-only website, I see recemt Best Buys at about £250 are:

Whirlpool AWZ3303 £178.00

Zanussi-Electrolux ZDE57140W £234.00

Whirlpool AWZ 8578 £275.00

John Lewis is a good place to buy as they have price match, good customer service, and good guarantees.

I would buy the simplest machine, no bells or whistles, tend to be cheaper and reliable as less to go wrong.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I was looking at one of the hotpoint models but was told to go for a Bosch one. Not sure I can get a bosch for less then 300

Sponsored Links
condensors seem to take forever to dry clothes, go for an externally vented, as said wont mist up your housse, or make it too hot.

Cheapest Which Best Buy Bosch is
Bosch WTV74104UK £298.19

Bosch Domestic appliances are usually found to be the best, second only to Miele which is the upmarket brand of the same group.

Is is worth purchasing a second hand Bosch dryer, say the WTA 2000 model? I know someone who has just bought a new dryer and was going to throw there old one out which is a Bosch WTA 2000 but doesnt have any heat. Could be an easy fix or isnt it worth fixing

Who can tell? If you offer to take it to the dump for him then buy a cheap multi-meter you might find it's a cheap repair job, though in my experience nothing is cheap on Bosch appliances (eg. four quid for a plastic wheel on a dishwasher basket!).

We have had a vesy basic Creda Reversair for 18 years and the only thing that's ever gone on it is the drive belt (£11). I'm with foxhole who said go for the simplest machine. Most of the time all you are paying for on expensive appliances is extra facilities that you never use. (Take a look at the number of programmes on your washing machine if you don't believe me..)

Hi,

Totally agree with simplicity and programmes not being used. Is there a way you can tell when a thermostat isnt working anymore? I have a cheap multimeter. Whats the first thing I could check?

Thanks in advance

Isolate stat. At room temperature you should have continuity. Ditto for the element(s)

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance but im not entirely sure what you mean.

Should I remove the stats first and then test or do they need to be in the appliance before testing.

You can leave them in the appliance. All I meant was remove the electrical connections to them before testing (ie isolate). Better make a note of the connections before you do it.

For cheaper running costs have you thought of a gas tumble drier far better than solely electric

Hi,

haven't given much thought to a gas version.

Which one would you recommend?

Fixed the Bosch WTA 2000, Thermostat on backplate replaced and now all sorted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back