Which Van?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

If I go down the route of self employment once I've been given my redundancy date I'm gonna need a van. I don't have a huge amount of money to spend (up to £1,000 perhaps but the cheaper the better) so can't afford to be too fussy but I was wondering if anyone here has any tips and experiences they'd like to share, both good and bad.

I need something with three seats up front (I think most have this anyway) and with a cargo area big enough to fit 8 x 4 plasterboards into.

I know Transits are prone to rotting at a phenomenal rate but there are millions around and parts should therefore be cheap.

I've spotted a few LDV's at pretty cheap prices too. I know these are based on 1960's / 1970's vehicles and aren't exactly cutting edge technology but I don't need swanky features and comfort. I need robust and reliable. They don't seem to rust at anywhere near the rate of a transit either.

Is the LDV 200 / Pilot big enough for my needs or would I be better with the 400 / Convoy? Or should I avoid LDV's altogether?

What about the Citroen Relay / Fiat Ducato / Peugeot Boxer? I don't think these really fit into my price bracket but would I be better with one of these if I can stretch the finances a little?

Any other suggestions? Any tips. What should I look out for?

One other thing, I know I need to add VAT if this has been claimed back by previous owner.

Thanks in advance.

Fred.

Sponsored Links
Hi Fred

Have you considered leasing? As a business it will be regarded as costs every month instead of an investment with only depreciation yearly.

We've got a Vauxhal Vivaro at the moment, the van that isn't really a van ;)
vanback200.jpg

Middle Long wheel base (can handle packs of wood up till 2.7m long).

Cheers Woodyoulike,

Briefly yes. But then I've got a couple of issues.

Because I'm new to self employment and, in particular, new to the trade I'm hoping to go into (plastering), there's a lot of uncertainty and to how successful (or not) I will be. I could therefore do without the commitment of leasing. Sure, if things take off then I'll be in the market for a nice shiny new van, possibly on a lease, but for the first year I'd like to have as few commitments as possible (I've got enough personal financial commitments as it is without adding any business ones to the list!).

Therefore, my priority is to get as much as possible purchased up front (i've got most stuff anyway) and run it with as few overheads as possible.

Thanks again.

Fred

Hi Fred,
I have a Renault Traffic van which is the same shape as the Vauxhall Wood You Like has. Great vans, easy to drive and most important, you were concerned about rotting Transits, they are galvanised. I dont know if the Vauxhall is though. I have had mine since new on a 04 and no probs. I will say though that if you a carrying a lot of plasterboards, because of the bulk head, the stick out the back door a bit But i just keep the right hand door closed and then strap the left hand door to the plasterboards via bungees, and everything is fine.
I doubt you would get one for £1000 quite yet though as I think they came out on a 52 plate?

Sponsored Links
Have just looked at Autotrader in my area.

The choice is----

V99 Pilot 2.2t 150K £695

K93 MB 308 LWB + roof rack £795

M95 MB 308 SWB £995

R98 Renault Master 735 LWB Hi-top £995.

This gives you an idea what you get for your dosh.

Cheers Secure,

I dunno where you are in Cheshire but I didn't see any of those on AutoTrader! I'll widen the search a little I guess. I don't mind travelling for the right vehicle (hell, I travelled over 300 miles for the car I had before I bought my rather grown up, sensible and frugal Mundano TDCi!).

Of those vehicles, what opinions do people have of them?

Regards

Fred.

Back