Which way to go ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glowworm compact 80 boiler that up until a few days ago was cutting out on the overheat stat every hour. A few posts on this website and I found out that it was down to a simple adjustment of one of the potentiometers on the PCB board.

British Gas had replaced the following trying to find the fault

Thermisters x 2
PCB
Fan
Overheat Stat x 2

So all in all its almost a new boiler.

The boiler was fitted in 1999 so is about 6 years old.....not sure if that is old for a boiler.

The problem now is that I have a fluctuating hot water temperature from all the taps. It runs very hot for a few minutes, then cold briefly before going back to very hot. I'm not sure if this is something serious or just that the PCB board needs properly setting up....I understand that there are 3 other potentiometers on the PCB that adjust settings.

Now I have thought of three possible ways to go forward.

1. Keep calling British Gas out in the hope that they may stumble upon the answer (i'm under a service contract with them)

2. Call Glowworm and get an engineer out in the hope that they might know what is wrong (cant pay too much as money is tight)

This boiler is starting to take over my life !!! I'm sure you can all understand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I found out that it was down to a simple adjustment of one of the potentiometers on the PCB
Could you point us to the post you were looking at? Did you adjust the pot?

Did BG mention sludge?
It is
  • A likely cause of your problems (assuming nothing's maladjusted!)
    Likely to be there after 6 years
    Not covered by BG. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back