whistling pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Two of our toilets (on the same stack) have started making a loud whistling sound when flushed. The downstairs toilet started doing it first and now the upstairs does also. They only do it when flushed. Both toilets are less than a year old. The house was built in 1986.
Please tell me what's wrong and if we can fix it ourselves or need a plumber.

Thank you!

Alice

Sponsored Links
Plastic ball valve comes to mind change them for brass

obviously noise from when they are filling if you live in a hard water area it could be the down to scale build up in the washers on the ballvalve :rolleyes:

beaniebrain said:
Hi Everyone,

Two of our toilets (on the same stack) have started making a loud whistling sound when flushed. The downstairs toilet started doing it first and now the upstairs does also. They only do it when flushed. Both toilets are less than a year old. The house was built in 1986.
Please tell me what's wrong and if we can fix it ourselves or need a plumber.

Thank you!

Alice

ang on the poster is in the states

hope they aint whistling dixie ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
It really does help to diagnose problems if the poster takes the trouble to think about what they are saying.

In this case the toilets do NOT make a whistling noise WHEN they are flushed. They are making the noise AFTER flushing while the cistern is refilling.

I am not sure why DIA suggests replacing a plastic ball with a copper one. I would go for the cheaper option of replacing the whole float valve reusing a plastic ball.

In a few cases a mains fed float valve is wrongly configured as a low pressure valve and becomes noisy.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back