Whistling Wheel

S

Shutpa

One of my wheels has developed an intermittant loud whistling or whining noise. Any clues? The car is a 2 year old Vauxhall Zafira.

Sponsored Links
One of my wheels has developed an intermittant loud whistling or whining noise. Any clues? The car is a 2 year old Vauxhall Zafira.

Yes the clue is in the loud whistling or whining noise..... :LOL:

Could be a wheel bearing, but at 2 years old, that seems odd.
If you have wheel trims, check you do not have a loose or broken one.

agree with Trazor, shouldn't be a wheel bearing but depends on the mileage? (Nothing would surprise me with a Zafira though, they're ok but I'm fussy with my cars....) Anyway try the following out:

1. Does it get louder going round hard bends at decent speed? If so it is probably a front wheel bearing. (bend to left, weight goes to right so it would be the right wheel... etc)

2. does the whistling or whining change at different speeds? If it changes tone completely or sounds different at different speeds it could be somthing daft like a bit of trim, but a wheel bearing would be likely to stay at the same kind of low/medium drone.

3. Does it go away or change when you brake? If so maybe a bit of the braking system rubbing somehow. Jack up the car and try turning the wheels by hand and see if you hear anything, (or see anything), but you won't hear wheel bearings without the load of the car on the wheel driving (unless they're really knackered..)

3. Does it go away or change when you brake? If so maybe a bit of the braking system rubbing somehow.

Cheers andy1020. Sorry for taking so long to answer, but yes, it does go away as soon as I touch the brake, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. This morning it was a real pain stopping and starting without apparent reason. It is sometimes so bad that my wife hears it from indoors just as I enter the street.

Sponsored Links
Possibly one of the brakes binding or maybe a stone trapped behind the pad. Either way the brakes ideally need stripping down so you can investigate.

ok, definately not a wheel bearing, so just as neo said possibly break binding on/sticky caliper or something caught.
Take wheel off, inspect the disc & pads for wear and anything caught in it. Turn and listen. Uneven pad wear is a possible sign of caliper being sticky. Caliper needs unbolted and cleaned up properly, not really a job to be doing unless you know what you're doing. It should really come right off with the mounting and properly cleaned, best with an electric wire brush and greased (careful not to get it on the pads/disc) then system needs bled of course. not really a job to be doing if you're not sure what you're doing, plenty to go wrong...
you want to get it sorted asap if it's that noisy. Braking performance will be seriously impaired if it's a brake problem causing it. (hard breaking could result in car being pulled one way or the other)

Been out and about a lot today and it hasn't happened once. This intermittent nature of the whine really bugs me. However, cars due for a service soon so I'll get it seen to then. Thanks for all your help.

For safety I would advise someone to jack up the wheel and make sure there is no ply in the bearings.

However its almost certainly just the disc pad whine as its intermittent.

There is often an "anti squeal" shim placed between the caliper and the pad. Its good to put some silicone grease on both sides of the shim when fitting. Some models are more prone to squeal than others.

Tony

copper grease on back of brake pad is more heat resistent

make sure the top of disc isnt catching anything

as disc wears down there is a LIP left at top of disc. This atracts rust and when you change pads gently hammer this rust and lip away as it generally catches the top of brake pad

If that lip is significant then I use an angle grinder with the side of the grinding disc to totally remove it.

Once having a disc which split radially from the outside inwards by about 60 mm and 1 mm wide I would never hammer one!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back