White emulsion on new plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone offer any help? We've had new plaster on all of our walls. A mist coat of cheap 50/50 watered down paint was applied. I am now on the 3rd coat of good paint but the finish is patchy. I've used a good brush as my wife wasn't happy with the dimpled effect of a roller. I am now looking at applying a 4th coat but would like to know the best way of going about this as I do not want to go for a 5th if this one dosn't come up to scratch. Can anyone also tell me if it's wise to use a gloss roller for emulsion for a smoother result.

Sponsored Links
50/50 is a bit thin for a cheap paint that is I expect quite thin to start with.
Thats why the surface is not well sealed. Also if your plaster was pink it's a very strong colour so tends to grin through a bit.

So long as you are using a good paint it will cover eventually. That's one good reason for using trade paints instead of diy as they tend to have more covering power.

I tend to stick to Dulux Trade because I can rely on the coverage but any other main brand will be fine, just avoid own brand trade paint it can be absolute poo!

50/50 is a bit thin for a cheap paint that is I expect quite thin to start with.
Thats why the surface is not well sealed. Also if your plaster was pink it's a very strong colour so tends to grin through a bit.

So long as you are using a good paint it will cover eventually. That's one good reason for using trade paints instead of diy as they tend to have more covering power.

I tend to stick to Dulux Trade because I can rely on the coverage but any other main brand will be fine, just avoid own brand trade paint it can be absolute poo!

The 50/50 was made up of dulux trade white and magnolia mostly. And the patchiness is brush strokes that are showing here and there. I have been methodical in the application of the top coats (dulux matt emulsion, not trade tho') but I am not getting a 'uniform' result. When previously done with a roller the coverage is fine but the dappled effect that rollers give isn't to our liking.

[. And the patchiness is brush strokes that are showing here and there. I have been methodical in the application of the top coats (dulux matt emulsion, not trade tho') but I am not getting a 'uniform' result. When previously done with a roller the coverage is fine but the dappled effect that rollers give isn't to our liking.
More practice needed - and there`s a thread here somewhere where I outlined how to brush paint walls /ceilings

Sponsored Links
If you are having trouble with brush painting, and don't like a roller finish how about trying paint pads? They don't give the stippled finish of a roller.

Tried the pads yonks ago- Never again! Any help or hint on brush use would be much appreciated ta. I've never had this problem before, then again I've never painted walls brilliant white before or onto new plaster. Could it be one of these that's the problem? I've got three rooms to do in total and we're fast running out of time, money, paint and energy.

I tend to use my father in laws old destemper brush if I use one , as a rule I only do it on small ceilings like a bathroom where getting a roller dirty and having another brush for odd cutting in is a waste. A proper emulsion brush tends to have long bristles unlike the ordinary paint brush from diy stores.
This type of thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-PBWALL5-Wall-Brush-5-inch/dp/B003KIR0JI/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

The long soft bristles do help with brush marks, but brush painting is the hardest way to get a good finish thats why most people have gone over to rollers ;)

The link is a 5" brush which is ok, as a rule bigger the brush the better result, but a 6" brush is pretty heavy after a while, be prepared for a sore wrist!

Footprints is spot on with his comment, alot of people think buying cheap paint and then thinning it further is a good way to go when in actual fact its already thin, hence the cheapness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back