White powder behind paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re painting a spare room and around the window there is a lot of paint which is cracking. I was scrapping the paint away along with other old coats I came across this white powder. It easyliy turns to dust if scrapped.

I was just wondering what this is and how to fix it?

The rest of the room there is none.

Thanks for any help.

Here a pic of it View media item 74300

Sponsored Links
how old is the house?

is that a conservatory roof above it?

were there any marks of damp?

Sponsored Links
is your photo upright? what's that at the top?

so the photo is not upright.

is the left hand side the top?

what is above it?

does the gutter or roof leak?

or is it condensation? how is the room ventilated?

Yeh left is top stupid I pad.

Above it is the main roof guttering but we do suffer a lot with condensation on the windows. And before this used to be the room where're washing would dry in winter months with a de humidifier.

No leaks that I am aware of

Ventilation is only through opening window or leaving it on the latch so slightly open

then the powdery material might have been efflorescence resulting from the damp wall.

you can clean it off with a broad metal scraper. Dry the wall out well before redecorating. If your windows have no trickle vents use the ventilation position. Fresh air dries out walls, not heat. Don't wet the powder, which is mineral salts, or they will soak back into the wall.

inspect the roof and gutter during rain, there may be water dripping or splashing on the wall.

if this is the only external wall of the room, it will be the one that suffers condensation, because it will be cold.

Yes it is the only wall that's external so once scrapped it dry it paint it. And just make sure that we keep the condensation down by leaving the window a jar and we also have a dehumidifier for the washing. And I am hoping that should keep it away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back