White stain on brickwork..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finished building a wall out of 4" rockface and on one course about 6 up for about 6 bricks in length this ugly white stain has seeped out .
It's started to calcify now , i tried a wire brush on it today but cudn't shift it. My mate reckons it's due to a bad batch of sand and its called effervesence ( not sure if i've spelt that right )

Anyway , does anyone know how it can be removed , i dont think a jet washer is going to do the trick....i have been told to use brick acid but where the hell do i get that from...
Any replies gratefully received , im open to suggestions...

Cheers Mondy

Sponsored Links
its the salts from the mortar leeching through, happens on most new brickwork or paving to some degree. it will fade or can be removed with a stifff brush. dont jet wash it. personally i wouldnt use brick acid either, may well discolour the walling permanently

i've tried a heavy duty wire brush and it barely touched it , as its our front garden wall it looks real unsighlty which is the main pain in the ass...

how powerfull is brick acid as i might have a ganders at that,,,

Cheers for reply therm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back