Who is professionally competent to relocate a CH radiator?

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

I have a combi boiler. I'm talking about tradesmen, plumbers, heating engineers etc.

Who is professionaly qualified and therefore professionally competent, to relocate a CH radiator and repressurize the CH loop?

Perhaps the question may boil down to: Is a plumber, officially, a professionally competent person?

Also, does "gas safe engineer" have any meaning, any relation to, or any connection to the issue of relocating a CH radiator?

Sponsored Links
Basically, I'm wanting to get the cheapest tradesman to remove my radiator and repressurize the CH loop, who is professionaly competent.

Anyone can move a radiator and repressurising your boiler is a job you should be doing youself.

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention it. I live in a council house and I'm resticted in what I personally am allowed to do. The council wants a professional to relocate the radiator.

Sponsored Links
Get a quote from them first and as i previously said anyone can move a radiator, you don't have to be gas safe registered.

Get the council to do the work then.

I'm presuming the council will be very expensive. I don't know why. Just got this impression. Perhaps I should ask them for a quote. :)

Well least if it go's wrong the balls in their court

Well, I'm more intersted in getting the work done at cheapest price. And this is why I ask about who is professionaly competent.

For instance, I had a quote from a chartered surveyor (well actually two surveyors) both of which were 25% more than the quote for a builder to supply certification of the load-bearing status of a wall.

So, I wonder if a similar situation may apply regarding the radiator relocation.

Everyones prices will vary, but cheapest don't always mean you get a good job.

Get a couple of quotes.

Well, because it's dealing with the central heating system. Are all plumbers qualified to be competent persons when making adjustements involving a CH system, which in my case is a combi boiler? Or does a professionally competent person, in this case, have to be a "heating engineer"?

The council wants a professional to relocate the radiator.
Put the ball back in the council's court - ask them what qualifications the "professional" person must have.

Yes, I think I ought to do that.

They mentioned "Gas engineer" in their letter. Don't know why.

I suspect that when we contemplate the matter, we might say anything from plumber, gas fitter, gas engineer, to heating engineer is professionally competent. Any of those mentioned who have a gas safety registration number.

But whether the council say that, well, I'll find out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back