Who owns the Electricity Meter and Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electricity meter is mounted outside (supposedly for easy reading, not that they ever submit anything other than an estimated bill), and the box that it is in is in very bad condition and I would like to change it for a new one.

Will the meter/box owner do it for me, or do I have to do it myself. Who owns these boxes these days (It was Northern Electric, in the old days) ??

Sponsored Links
jtaunton said:
Who owns these boxes these days (It was Northern Electric, in the old days) ??
The house owner owns the boxes because you can buy them in builder merchants. I'm afraid the meter change will have to be done by gas & electric company.

you can buy credit meters in electrical wholesalers and you can buy concentric cable aswell, if you put it in for the electricity company they then own them, not you...so the thinking is flawed there, just incase anyone thinks it means they own the street supply cable or something :LOL:

but yes i think your right masona, the box is householders, but you will have fun trying to change more than the door wityh the gear instaled

Sponsored Links
Yes - Just had a better look so I understand what's involved a bit more. Think I'll buy some wood and build a box for my box. And when that gets a bit shabby.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back