Whole house heat recovery

I have some on 28 kW gas dryers. They have an area of about 4 sq m of aluminium heat exchanger and work with a temp diff of about 40 C.

The ones I have seen have an area of about 0.5 sq m and a plastic exchanger. Since they work on a diff of about 10 C then I dont see much heat getting transferred.

Does anyone have any figures of temps achieved on the domestic units?

Tony

It's not great Tony, sorry I can't recall the actual temperatures, they're mostly set up with a Anemometer on domestic stuff. Though it's been a wee while since we installed a HR Vent system, it was always one for large one-of Greenwash builds prior to the crash in 08.

Sponsored Links
The small ones for bathrooms seem to recover about 15-20% which is not much.

But the whole house ones have a proportionally smaller heat exchanger!

Anyone have one in London where I can come to measure the performance?

Tony

In answer to the OP's original question, I installed one about 20 years ago in my one bedroomed bachelor pad. It was purchased from Wickes as a kit, but I think the heat exchanger may have been assembled by a company called Rega? The fans and controller were made by Soler & Palau. I remember this because both the variable speed controller and one of the fans failed and I had to get a replacements.

From memory, I seem to think the instructions claimed about an 80% heat recovery efficiency.

The layout of the property comprised a completely open plan downstairs with lounge and kitchen area, stairs to first floor having one bedroom and bathroom. The property had one electric storage heater in the lounge which tended to run cool at night, so I wanted to have ventilation yet preserve as much heat as possible, including that generated by cooking.

I positioned the heat recovery unit in the loft with the extraction points located above the cooker and the shower. Fresh air was ducted into the bedroom, landing and lounge area at the opposite end to the cooker.

In practice it worked well, probably because of the open plan nature. I also took a bit off the bottom of the bathroom and bedroom doors to assist airflow. The fans had variable speed control so I left it continually on low when I was at home and boosted it to full when showering or cooking. I added a switch in the supply to the intake fan, so in summer when I didn't want heat recovery, I would run it as an extract only.

In the height of winter, the air coming in only felt slightly cool but certainly not cold. (even air at room temperature feels cool when blown on your skin)

My next home was considerably larger with 11 rooms and would have required a much bigger system. It already had extractor fans installed and a heating system that produced more heat, so I never got around to installing one.

Efficiency claims are usually not matched by performance!

But I think that one had an ali HEX and looked very good.

But they discontinued it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
From memory, I seem to think the instructions claimed about an 80% heat recovery efficiency.

They tend to quote the efficiency under the most favourable conditions. ISTR the theoretical maximum from a cross-flow plate heat exchanger is 50%.

You should ideally have a by-pass damper around the PHX so that you are not recovering heat, that you don't want, in summer.

The small ones for bathrooms seem to recover about 15-20% which is not much.

But the whole house ones have a proportionally smaller heat exchanger!

Anyone have one in London where I can come to measure the performance?

Tony

Do you have a selection of figures in your head that you just pick at random for whatever it is your talking about??
15-20% ??

Thanks for all the comments.

This does seem to a be a marmite question. Some think it is a good idea others seem to think it is bad.

From the comments the only down sides seems to be cost and the fact it might be inefficient and remove all the heat. Its not cheap but the house needs ventilation in each room and I have to remove the noisy and inefficient airbricks in most rooms and replace with something, I don't have trickle vents.

Assuming I am going to put it I will find a wholesaler who can supply all the part and give some good advice too. Which make/model, duct size etc.

As for efficiency from what I have read they seem to claim 70-90% heat recovery. It doesn't have to run all the time so this would seem OK especially if it had a timer on it which they do seem to have.

I'll probably give it a go and let people on here know how I get on. Plenty of other jobs for now but if I am putting in ducting it has to be done soon.

I buy kit from these guy's occasionally if I need a special out of the normal ac stuff we install.
always helpful and knowledgable (if you speak to the owner)

http://www.justfans.co.uk

http://www.justfans.co.uk/catalogues/ENERGYQ.pdf

or Try one of the Japanese air con manufacturer's

http://www.daikin.co.uk/binaries/ECPEN11-203_tcm511-231071.pdf?quoteId=tcm:511-223787-64

If we have to size a/c with ventilation we add 20% duty to cover the losses. With a HRV we don't need extra duty..

as I say I have no commercial tie up past them being a supplier to me...

Like most things the efficiency is dependent on the spec, install quality and what the client is willing to spend by not cutting corners.. Sadly most DIY'er are more interested in cost than performance (even if they originally lie and say "They want the best")

I put a Villavent HR400 in my house about 7 years ago.

It was designed by Villavent and they gave me CAD drawings of the duct sizing and location.

Its very quiet, has been 100% reliable. Mine is a Victorian house and it was being remodelled at thetime, so the ducts went in easily.

I'm a heating installer and was considering fitting these, but decided it was so easy it was a DIY job.

I was just about to post the same question as you so I wondered how you got on? I have floors up, are changing the internal layout, stud walls to build etc so it makes sense to put in ducting as I go along. Any advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back