Whole house pump system???

P

potshot

Present set up is gravity fed vented system with 50 gal CWT in loft slightly off set above first floor ensuite showeroom (Mira 723 thermostatic control) containing HW cistern and seperate first floor family bathroom with thermostatic shower over bath. All basins/sinks and WC's have mains feeds on all floors. The CWT has two 22mm outlets with gate valves first to the HWC and second to the family bathroom which all has 15mm tee off to supply the ensuite shower pump located at the base of the HWC.

The HWC is indirectly heated via an oil fired Raeburn (no temperature control at the moment) with a back up brand new 18" immersion heater (with cut-out control). The HWC outlet has a surrey flange with a 15mm feed to the ensuite shower pump then a short horizontal 22mm section to the vertical domestic HW feed to downstairs (kitchen sinks, utility room washing machine and WC basin) with what I thought was the upward vent pipe. However tee'd off the vent pipe at low loft level (about 60/65 com below base level of CWT) is the HW feed to the family bathroom :rolleyes: .

The house is a thirteenth century cob longhouse so a complete re-routing of the pipework is not an option. The existing pipework was done by Bogget & Screwitupp and is about 20 years old and the oil fired central heating boiler is at the far end of the house. There are only two of us in the house so the family bathroom is seldom used.

The performance of the 1.5 IKON twin regenerative pump is temperamental at best and sometimes awful. So the question is how to
make the most COST effective long term improvement to the system??

I have already got a Salamander HWS TMV to fit and I know I have to move the inlet pipe to CWT and it is directly above the outlet pipes which feed the shower pump to reduce aeration. It has been suggested I fit a 2.25 bar whole house pump but that will have a 22mm supply requirement. Will it be able to pump via the loft to supply the family bathroom. Will I need to bigger feed to the HWC? Help please

Sponsored Links
The most cost effective in the long run would be to have it done professionally.

The current system was done by you ''professionals'' and its a mess particularly the piping off the vent pipe. Thats why I was asking advice before I asked for some quotes - so at least I would know if I was being fobbed off again.......................

Sponsored Links
If you are accusing the proffessional who installed your system of making a mess, why are you asking advise from proffessionals on this site.

The current system was done by you ''professionals'' and its a mess particularly the piping off the vent pipe. Thats why I was asking advice before I asked for some quotes - so at least I would know if I was being fobbed off again.......................
It must`ve been done by that fat bloke on the telly with Doc.Martin :idea: He`s a plumber in Devon

If you are accusing the proffessional who installed your system of making a mess, why are you asking advise from proffessionals on this site.

It is obvious isn't it............ I am not at all happy with the way the system was put in before we moved in. The person who fitted the shower pump subsequently five/six years ago clearly didn't know what he should have done because by doing some research on the various pump manufacturers it has shown some basic errors. But I suppose I am asking too many searching questions

It is obvious isn't it............ I am not at all happy with the way the system was put in before we moved in. The person who fitted the shower pump subsequently five/six years ago clearly didn't know what he should have done because by doing some research on the various pump manufacturers it has shown some basic errors. But I suppose I am asking too many searching questions

Well if it was installed before you moved in, how do you know it was done by a proffessional, it may of been installed by the previous occupant

One thing that will turn almost every decent installer off, is somebody who has already bought the parts and just needs somebody to stick it in.
Another one that makes me turn away from jobs, is people looking for the cheapest solution.
Both are trouble waiting to happen.

One thing that will turn almost every decent installer off, is somebody who has already bought the parts and just needs somebody to stick it in.
Another one that makes me turn away from jobs, is people looking for the cheapest solution.
Both are trouble waiting to happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back