Whooshing Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have recently moved into a house which was built in the early 80s. The central heating is pretty much original as far as I can tell - original looking rads and microbore pipes feeding them as well as feed and expansion tank for the central heating in the loft. The boiler is a newish British Gas 330 and there is a new looking grundfos 15-60 pump set to setting 3. There is a new unvented cylinder in the airing cupboard for the hot water.

When the central heating is running by itself, there are often periods - anywhere between 5 mins and hours - where the system makes a very loud whooshing noise as water circulates around the system. Sounds a bit like a road sweeper truck driving past the house! This can be heard all around the house.

When the hot water is being heated - either alone or at the same time as central heating - the noise is never present.

Sometimes if the noise has started while the heating is running, it can be stopped by cycling the water on and then off after a few minutes... until it comes back again!

I've tried bleeding radiators but they seem ok to me. One of the rads in the house doesn't really heat up, so I suspect a blockage in the microbore feeding it (I have tried playing around with valves in case it was a balancing problem).

I can live with the one rad not heating up for now until I can afford to renovate the whole system, but I could do with quietening the system down - especially at this time of year when the heating is on a lot!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,
Burt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back