Whose manhole is it anyway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have in my back garden a manhole containing a junction for the combined drains to run through from my house and also my next door neighbour's house.

My neighbour has blocked her drains several times in the last year and we have workmen from her housing association wanting to look in the manhole each time this happens.(Thankfully my neighbour has so far failed to cause a blockage which affects the manhole.)

Do I really have to provide instant access though my garden to anyone who claims to have a need to look in this manhole - it seems intrusive?

Am I right in thinking that this manhole is now the responsibility of the water company (i.e. they have to clear any blockages)?

Does this mean the water company own the manhole and cover?

Can I connect new pipes into it if I want,or must I get permission?

Who has responsibility for maintenance - this manhole is about 8 feet deep?

Sponsored Links
for the benefit of everyone including yourself making sure everything is flowing how it should be is the main thing,rather then worrying about certain people needing to gain access.im in the same boat and had a lot of problems over the last few years and had many a chap knock on my door to gain access to my manhole.

iirc the water board own the drain the H/A own the manhole cover and connecting to it MAY require permission??
i stand to be corrected.

Thanks for the reply,my neighbours are H/A but my house is not,so I'm guessing you mean that the water board are responsible for ensuring an unimpeded flow of waste from the manhole,but that I might be responsible for the 8 feet of brickwork and the cover?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back