Why are my wooden rails sticky ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I know this seems like a really silly question, but I am at a loss what to do, and have tried ever conventional method. Let me explain. I have mobility issues, and was provided with a wooden hand rail going up my stairs, some years ago. They were treated with a clear varnish.

Every couple of weeks or so, I wipe these down, with either a cleaning solution like Flash, or Washing up liquid. Over the last two weeks, they have been getting sticky to the touch, very sticky, now I have no young children or anyone with sticky hands, yet the rails feel like I have painted them with honey.

I have tried Flash, Cif/Jif. Washing Up Liquid, Turps, A solution of turps and oil and water. and nothing helps. I have tried scrubbing them with the green side of a sponge . The stickiness remains

Would another coat of clear satin varnish help, or would I still feel the stickiness. Do they need to be sanded down again What about sugar soap ?

Its going to be me doing the work, hence me hoping to find some ideas before I embark on what will be a for me a tricky job.

Any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated. Take care all

Sponsored Links
could be resin from a pocket or knot
is it in a specific area!!

Hi Big-All

Thank you for taking the time to reply. No its all over the wood, going all the way up the staircase, every single bit of the wood is sticky. I have tried every cleaning product known, then let each dry, and its still sticky. I have no idea what to do now. :rolleyes: .

It would seem, deedee, that your cleaning products have somehow reacted with the varnish that was originally applied.
So, don't clean your handrail for a while, and see if the surface hardens again.
If it does, then a light sanding followed by a coat of polyurethane varnish should give you a hard finish......
As you can tell, this is not a common occurrence!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Burnerman. I really appreciate your reply. Okay will leave the rail alone for a couple of weeks, to see if the varnish coating hardens up again. Just wondering what I can do, if it doesn't :cry: Could I just sand it very lightly ( I am a lazy sander lol) and varnish over it ??. Take care :)

If the varnish doesn't harden up again then I guess its a case of removing it with a chemical such as nitromors or similar......I think soft varnish would clog up abrasive paper big time but its worth a try over a small area, perhaps underneath as an experiment.
As a last resort (never having seen this before) I guess the rail could be chemically dipped to remove all surface coatings - but that means you'll be without the rail for a while and I don't know if thats possible.
Wishing you luck!

Did you use a water based vanish? [i.e you clean brushes in water after use] some detergents will reactivate this and leave it sticky.

i have a similar sounding problem on an ikea chair. i suspect the missus cleaned the arm rests with something she shouldn't have and years later they still feel sticky (and look a lot dirtier now)

one day it may get sanded and re-varnished, too many other things to do first though....

Hi John

Thank you for your suggestions. I have used nitromors before, years ago. Lethal stuff lol. Will look into seeing if I can get it dipped. Plus how long it would take, how long I would be without the rail. And will test a small area sanding wise to see if that can be done as well. Thanks for the luck, I think I am going to need it :) . Take care Dee

Hi Foxhole

The Hand Rail was put up and varnished by a Carpenter, years ago.I am not sure if it was water based or needed a solvent to clean it. :)

Dee, at the end of the day it could be quicker to get a new rail....maybe it wouldn't be that expensive.
A helpful chippy could use the same brackets and have the thing up in an hour, no problem.

Hi John

Now this is going to sound even sillier, "Why didnt I think of that" Time and effort wise that will be cheaper. Going to get some quotes. Thats a weight off my mind Take care
Dee :D

Dee, if you lived up here I'd do it for nowt, but apparently London is a large place a little south of here.....
I've been there once and someone had a go at pinching my wallet :D
They didn't get it :D :D
Be lucky and best wishes

Aww John, Bless you. :D :D :D

Thats really kind of you,. Northumberland is that anywhere to do with Cumbia - Keswick ?. If so when I was much much younger, I broke my ankle monkey jumping down those mountains, got my foot caught in a rabbit hole lol . Gorgeous area of the world

Yep you got to hold on to your bits and pieces down here, Im afraid. Its not everyday or everywhere, but it still happens.

Have a great week. :D

Thank you Dee :D
Northumberland is due East of the Lake District, I'm very familiar with Keswick and I'm there in 1 1/2 hours. Its an inspiring place - sadly heavily flooded last November. I restored a house there in 2001.
I'm fortunate to overlook the Tyne valley to the south and I can see the sea far off to the east. I have to say, I don't want to live anywhere else! It doesn't suit everyone, though.
Hope all goes well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back