Why are solicitors so slow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I viewed a property over a week ago (14th May). Made an offer on the spot to the vendor (which was accepted). Got confirmation through the post from the Estate agent next day that my offer had been accepted.

The house is currently empty (as the vendor has moved in with relatives).
and I'm a cash buyer, so no mortgage will be involved.

Instructed a Solicitor to act on my behalf on 16th May.

Called my solicitor today (24th May) and suggested that I want to exchange contracts on 6th June with completion by 10th June.

I'm told that it's highly unlikely that this time frame is achievable.

WHY. What on earth takes so long. After all it's a standard terraced house, in a run-of-the-mill street. Surely, after the billions of house sales that have been transacted in this country, the whole procedure should be a walk in the park, for any self respecting solicitor.

Sponsored Links
Not all the solicitors fault, the searches take quite a long time. Council's fault.

The searches can take a number of weeks, but conveyancing is easy money for a solicitor and they only spend a small amount of time on these. They probably have a huge pile going through at one time, so its a case of wait i'm afraid.

In our experience they also like to hold things up until the end of the month, to get all of the cash transfers done in one go. We missed one month end and the other parties solicitor spent the next month arguing about some small insignificant point and then at the end of the next month forgot all about it :confused: . We know this because we are still intouch with the purchasers and they told us they didn't have a problem and even instructed the solictor to proceed.

Back in the 70's a girlfriend was secretary to a snouter ... she did most of the conveyancing paperwork .. he checked and signed .. easy money !!
:D

Sponsored Links
Its still done the same now, but its the solicitors that sign & take the can.

My sister was recently in a chain of four buyers/sellers, and each was going through the same estate agent, although different solicitors. One of the buyers' solicitors was being extremely slow and after a couple of months my sister went to the estate agent and told them that if things were not sorted out soon she would put the house on the market again (she can be very persuasive), hence buggering up the whole chain and the estate agents profits. The estate agent put pressure on the solicitor and things were quickly sorted.

When they bought their previous house, she did her own search at the town hall (she had previously worked there). It involves sitting outside various offices waiting for forms to be signed and stamped, she did in an afternoon what usually takes weeks, and I believe anyone can do this.

Diyisfun said:
Its still done the same now, but its the solicitors that sign & take the can.
yep, 20 mins and charge ??? He is covered for mistakes by insurance .. which inevitably the likes of thee and I pay for anyway ... more thee than I hopefully.
;)

Peter
Your suggestion of a DIY Local Authority Search sounded interesting. I've done some checking on the Internet and found that all the forms are available over the internet.

If I was starting again from scratch, I'd probably do it this way. (It would have been cheaper too). Unfortunately I don't, currently, live local to the area involved. I suspect that my solicitors would still charge me for the search, as they have already put the wheels in motion. All things considered, I might just as well leave the solicitors to it, on this occasion.

I've been considering the option of, offering to rent the property from the Vendor until the whole thing is settled. My wife is worried that, if I do that, they may deliberately delay the process to squeeze more rent money out of us. (That's assuming they would accept the deal).

I should imagine the vendors solicitor would advise them against renting it to you in the meantime. I am not suggesting you, but some buyers would pull out of the deal and maybe even stop paying rent too, even worse, they can cause damage. It could take the sellers ages to get a bad tenant out.

I rent industrial units out for a living and our solicitors always advise against letting tenants in early for similar reasons.

It is very frustrating the time they all take, sometimes I reckon it is to justify their high fees.

A few years ago was offered a house but it had to be setttled straight away. Agent recommended a solicitor for speed. Solicitor said yes, everything including standard searches could be done within two weeks.

you'll probably get the keys in 3 months!! crap isn't it? in the mean time the people that are sorting out the morgage will bombard you with offers to sell you insurance. ;)

D&J said:
I should imagine the vendors solicitor would advise them against renting it to you in the meantime.
My wife recons something similar. It would give us an opportunity to find any foibles (bad neigbours, dodgy plumbing, or whatever) and pull out of the deal.

Richardp said:
you'll probably get the keys in 3 months!! rubbish isn't it? in the mean time the people that are sorting out the morgage will bombard you with offers to sell you insurance.
No mortgate people involved, it's a cash sale. The solicitor is the one trying to sell extra services. He was suggesting that, besides the standard structural survey, I should also pay extra for a drainage survey :eek:. He seemed quite put out, when I said, "sorry, I'm not even bothering with a structural survey."

I'm just getting so frustrated. Patience is not one of my natural talents.

I'm told that if you pay for the extra survey it just means that the surveyor gets out of his car. :confused:

both parties should get together and give instructions beforehand that they want the deal executed with haste and no delays, it's been known of deals to have been sown up within a day or so, so it is possible , if you don't push them then they will take their time.

there is absolutley no reason why a cash sale cannot be pushed through very quickly if both parties agree to it and make it clear to the solicitors acting on their behalf. The local authority search can be carried out by visiting the council offices paying the fee and having it done while you wait (at most councils). When we were going through all the shannigans of buying and selling we were stuck waiting for one piece of correspondance from the buyers solicitor. In the end I went to their office stood at the reception and demanded a copy of the letter they had supposedly done five days ago and posted. I stood there and refused to go until I had it to take to my solicitor. Funnily enough after a 20 minute wait I had the letter in my hand. Ill let you guess what date was on it!

Sponsored Links
Back