Why brown sediment in the F&E?

Sponsored Links
Bamber rather than comment wrong, wrong & wrong with the post please enlighen us mere mortals,
F & E is a header tank
a storage tank is for domestic water
an expansion pipe is a safety route for expanding water not normally used unless there is a fault, why would you want hot domestic water to go out onto the roof or into the cold tank under normal use as it would simply cost more money to reheat
why would you want heating water to go back into the F & E it would re- oxygenate the water and could cause problems

Bamber rather than comment wrong, wrong & wrong with the post please enlighen us mere mortals,
F & E is a header tank
a storage tank is for domestic water
an expansion pipe is a safety route for expanding water not normally used unless there is a fault, why would you want hot domestic water to go out onto the roof or into the cold tank under normal use as it would simply cost more money to reheat
why would you want heating water to go back into the F & E it would re- oxygenate the water and could cause problems

If this is a serious question then I am more than staggered. I can`t be bothered, Honestly that is such an ignorant statement. Read the OP`s original question & my reply, I don`t have time nor inclination to walk you through your NVQ level 1 in plumbing.

Thanks for that Gasbag, now we all know you haven't a clue what you're talking about. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Gasbag, now we all know you haven't a clue what you're talking about. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Strikingly obvious that you are out of your depth, hence a barrage of Smileys, if I`m wrong I would value your opinion, you are normally quick to pounce & villify me as ignorant on these subjects.

I await your reply. ;)

I don't recall ANYBODY posting as much incorrect rubbish as gaspipe seems to manage, in such a short time.

Now sit down and make yourself comfortable bamber tripetalker, and read this carefully. It will probably take you hours to assimilate but keep at it. Are you ready?

Nothing should come out of the vent pipe except when a fault exists. The deposits get into the f&e (also known as the header) tank through the pipe that supplies water to the system. Also known as the feed and expansion pipe. That's right, water goes down it, and up it. When the system cools, water goes down it, when the system heats, water goes up it. You will get onto expansion and contraction and heat when you leave primary school and go to the big school.

Now be a good boy and drink your milk, then tidy your bedroom.

I don't recall ANYBODY posting as much incorrect rubbish as gaspipe seems to manage, in such a short time.

Now sit down and make yourself comfortable bamber tripetalker, and read this carefully. It will probably take you hours to assimilate but keep at it. Are you ready?

Nothing should come out of the vent pipe except when a fault exists. The deposits get into the f&e (also known as the header) tank through the pipe that supplies water to the system. Also known as the feed and expansion pipe. That's right, water goes down it, and up it. When the system cools, water goes down it, when the system heats, water goes up it. You will get onto expansion and contraction and heat when you leave primary school and go to the big school.

Now be a good boy and drink your milk, then tidy your bedroom.

So in your ridiculous scenario you are saying that the supply to the system is also the expansion pipe? Ridiculous.

I have never heard such rubbish in all my life. Go back to school you idiot.

Pray tell Bamber, why when the CH system water expands as it is heated it would not expand up the feed pipe into the F+E ? It's just an open pipe.... what is there to possibly stop the expanding water from moving up this pipe.

Clearly the outlet of the vent pipe is at a higher level than the surface of the water in the F&E even when the CH system water is at it's hottest / most expanded state. So why would CH system water be emitted from this pipe under normal operating conditions?

It's the simplest of simple concepts to grasp surely? The CH system water will expand to an equal level up the feed pipe and the vent pipe to the F&E - i.e. the level in the vent pipe will surely be the same level as the surface of the water in the F&E?

If this is not the case, please explain why not...... I'm not a plumber - it's just your logic seems to defy the laws of physics - I'm intrigued.........

Thanks
Graham

The feed pipe from a F&E tank (my chosen terminology) header/top-up/expansion, also doubles as an expansion pipe, which is one reason why it MUST never have any sort of valve fitted in it. the expansion/vent pipe is purely an expansion vent pipe for safety purposes.
The brown sh*t in the tank is probaly airbourne dirt particles from loft space.

Pray tell Bamber, why when the CH system water expands as it is heated it would not expand up the feed pipe into the F+E ? It's just an open pipe.... what is there to possibly stop the expanding water from moving up this pipe.

Clearly the outlet of the vent pipe is at a higher level than the surface of the water in the F&E even when the CH system water is at it's hottest / most expanded state. So why would CH system water be emitted from this pipe under normal operating conditions?

It's the simplest of simple concepts to grasp surely? The CH system water will expand to an equal level up the feed pipe and the vent pipe to the F&E - i.e. the level in the vent pipe will surely be the same level as the surface of the water in the F&E?

If this is not the case, please explain why not...... I'm not a plumber - it's just your logic seems to defy the laws of physics - I'm intrigued.........

Thanks
Graham

I`m a wind up merchant, calm down. I like to get the lads going. ;)

Thanks
Graham

I`m a wind up merchant, calm down. I like to get the lads going. ;)

You've been exposed Gasbag, so get back inside where you belong, there's a good boy. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Bamber - Do you not think it somewhat irresponsible to deliberately post factually incorrect information on a DIY site - which unwitting DIYers may then presume is correct? Think on fella.

Bit daft filling the heating up with softened water as well.

Asking for trouble.

Is there evidence for this, or is it an Old Plumber's Tale?

"Sentinel X100 has been especially designed to cope with all types of supply water, even softened water and affords complete protection."

See http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en/heating/X100/questions[/QUOTE]

Soft water is not good for your boiler if it contains an aluminium heat exchanger . (I don`t think dia knew that I knew that) ;)

He knows that inhibitor will protect it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back