Why can't I have my consumer unit replaced?

This is a good comment from Supersparks and the rest.

First, I have been warned of the problems of having the RCD trip due to problems in the wiring. My take is... If there are drains, I want them identified and fixed. Having an RCD could save someone's life some day. To me, it's worth doing it right.

I will most likely have a contractor perform a full fault check first to find and hopefully fix those problems first. I know I could be openning up a can of worms, but my folks taught me that you do the job right.

A great slogan from a top rated auto garage I recall from the US (where I'm from) was:

"Cheap work isn't good.
Good work isn't cheap.

We do good work."

Sponsored Links
I did say I'm not a cynic !!
We all know of the bloke who'll rip you,
and, with a search, the good fella who'll do ought for you (A gud fella worth his weight in gold).
Get "B" and if it costs more it will be well worth it .
Get "A" welllllll.............

There is a good way around this, something I always do if the job was costly. Insist upfront that the invoice is broken down into parts and labour and that you won't accept anything else. In my case I used to give some old spiel about claiming back the VAT on the goods supplied etc. If there was any old flannel about them not being VAT registered, I'd point out that they might not be, but I was, and the company they purchased the parts from also would be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back