why did my upstairs rads come on this (warm) morning?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a good-sized house with a complicated heating system. We have a combi boiler (vaillant ecotec plus) downstairs which feeds the kitchen and utility hot water. Upstiars we have a hot water cylinder for the bathrooms.

The thermostat downstairs controls the temp of the house/rads. This morning (whilst the rads were hot) it said the house temp was 23 and its set to come on when the house falls below 18 which it hasnt this morning. There was no flame showing on the therm which is what shows when the heating is on.

Yet all our upstairs rads and towel rails were hot this morning?!

Im not sure if its relevant but we had a powerflush on friday. All the rad thermostats had been left on max from where they had done that (they are usually much lower).

Ive heard somewhere that with our combi it has a function where if it heats the hw cylinder to temp rather than waste the extra excess energy it puts that heat into the rads. Anyone know of this? Could this be what has happened? Our hw is heated for a couple of hours each morning and evening.

Thing is that rad thermostats should be left open during summer shouldnt they to prevent them blocking. How can i do that if the boiler is going to turn them on when its 30 degrees in the house?!

None of the downstairs rads came on yet they are all on the same system.

Please solve this mystery :confused:

Sponsored Links
Probably a zone valve stuck in open position.
Turn all controls, thermostats, trv's, and boiler to maximum for a couple of minutes, then all back to normal. If that doesn't solve it, something went wrong with the flush.
Radiators do not have to be left open to prevent them sticking.

on the lines of bengasman. it could be that they manually opened a zone valve when doing the PF,and forgot to close it off.

any idea how i tell which one? the airing cupboard is a maze of pipes and there are around 10 valves! :eek:

Sponsored Links
youve proberbly more of a clue than we have ,cause you can see them.we cant.just check the levers on the boxes when the system is off, for resistance when trying to move them across.even easier just get the people back who did the PF.

post some photos of the pipes, valves and pump

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back