Why do I have ONE radiator not working? Pease help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm an amateur DIYer so please bear with me if I don't use the correct terminology. I have one radiator which will not get hot despite all the rest being on in the house. Here's what I have done so far:

1. I have bled the radiator.
2. I have turned the valve with the knob on it to fully open (is this the inlet?) and outlet valve to fully open. It does not have a TRV.
3. To check the inflow valve I turned it to open, closed the outflow, then undid the small nut at the end of the outflow valve and emptied the contents of the radiator into a bowl using the drain off. As I did this the radiator got hot all the way up to the top. I then tightened the small nut back up and turned the outlet valve to fully open. I went to bed thinking I'd solved the problem but when I got up in the morning it was cold again despite the rest being hot.

What might the problem be? I don't have a combi boiler.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Dave,
Could just be a bit of an air lock, try turning off all the other radiators to push the air through, when it gets hot turn the others back on.

Dave, if the radiator bleeds well, then you may just have a balancing problem...there's some info in the FAQ's but essentially its forcing water round a path (that radiator) which the water finds easier to avoid.
Try turning some of the other rads off, and see what happens.
Often enough, the lockshield valves only need to be 3/4 of a turn for the flow to be fine.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back