Why do i have tag on my Ankle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BBC News - Dunstable asylum seeker demands explanation for ankle tag - BBC News

*Wearing the tag made him feel "like a criminal", he explained.
The Dunstable asylum seeker, who the BBC is not identifying, said he was originally deported to Trinidad in 2014 having been
Red alert * jailed in the USA for being in receipt of stolen money. * Red alert

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
"...given the practice has been deemed unlawful."

Says the link.

Sponsored Links
Can we assume he arrived by illegal means and therefore the condition of bail is that he wears a tag?

Nothing illegal about that.

You can't assume anything other than the info given which is rather scant.

I'd wonder but lacking info can only wonder about the ICO's remit. I assume it relates to UK citizens. Has this person been given leave to stay? There are very probably sound reasons for tracking if not.

I'm reminded of govs going around saying come out, come out we wont send you back just to crack down on illegals who finish up in sweat shops. Maybe even crime gangs where they are likely to decide to remain as they are.

Other than this the comment given law changes why me is fair enough really. It needs an answer.

ICO remit is data and the collection of it by UK entities. it covers everyone here, illegally or otherwise. In fact criminals, in the past have tried to get damages for CCTV used to convict them.

"The Enforcement Notice issued by the ICO orders the Home Office to update its internal policies, access guidance and privacy information in relation to the data retained from the pilot scheme."

Nothing ruled illegal, just an enforcement notice to update the policy and procedures. Sloppy reporting from the beeb... again.

No problem applying the idea then but that still leaves the why me.

Maybe it relates to trying to cease the use of hotels to other methods of housing refugees which is said to be more expensive. Might not be if people need to be tagged to keep track of them..

The article says:

An asylum seeker wants to know why he has to wear an ankle tag, given the practice has been deemed unlawful.

That doesn't appear to be the issue the ICO had, nor is it the basis of their enforcement. The enforcement is about the retention and processing of the data and communication of such.

hence the process of tagging illegal immigrants has not been ruled illegal.

Clear?

No, your swerving again. The ICO found the Home Office breached UK law. You claimed that breaching UK law is not illegal ("nothing ruled illegal")?
nonsense - you're trolling again.

The post is about the tagging of illegal immigrants. The beeb article says it's been ruled illegal, it hasn't.

Sponsored Links