WHY DO YOU CHARGE A CALL OUT FEE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do you charge a call out fee. Does this depend on where you are situated where your called out or have you a standard rate ???

I´m not interested in how much you charge but would like the info on your reasons as i´m trying to write a topic for a local paper.

Sponsored Links
Petrol costs, inconvenience at hour called, to earn money are three reasons I'd charge if i was a full time spark :rolleyes:

Thank you for your input

If there is anyone else that can put where words down i´m only trying to defend the reasons for call out charges. Thank you in advance...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If i´d said there´s 150 quid prize for the best reasons i´d have had more luck

I'm no spark (and I'm not after a prize either) but I'd say the main reason is time. For any trade, being called out to a simple job that costs a tenner in materials and take ten minutes to rectify is all very well and fine but there's the question of taking the call, getting the parts, getting there and doing the job. It all adds up to a couple of hours and therefore needs to be charged as such.

Nowadays though you tend not to see a huge amount of tradespeople with callout charges. It's usually just a minimum charge. Much fairer really to charge say a minimum of one hour at say £a than a callout of £b plus £a per hour.

Of course, there's all sorts of ways people charge. Per job, no fix no fee etc.

Sponsored Links
I've got a mate that repairs domestic appliances. If he didn't have a call out charge he'd be out of business.

The number of times he's travelled 45 minutes or more across the city to get to a home of an "emergency breakdown" and when he gets there they've suddenly realised that they'd forgot to plug it in, or don't know how to work the item properly, so no repair to be done. Then there's 45 minutes back and the travel costs (someone once worked out the total cost of running a van. 40p a mile I think). Without a call out charge he's not only not made any money but is out of pocket. Maybe he's even lost revenue as he's turned down another urgent job because he'd just taken this one.

Then there are the jobs where the machine is so worn out or the parts are obsolete and can't be repaired. No money again.

If there was no call out charge people might just ask for an estimate to repair what was wrong, and once the problem was diagnosed for them (which is usually the hard bit) fix it themselves.

Then there are those that aren't at home at the agreed time. People are more likely to be in if they know they've going to have to pay for a wasted journey. (or two if he has to go back)

Salaried employees who are travelling during the working day are paid for their travelling time, so why shouldn't the self employed?

Of course that's in the UK. Do they have a call out charge in Spain.

MR-DIAZ said:
Why do you charge a call out fee.
Because of time wasting clients otherwise you'll go bankrupt.

BTW, I'm not an electrician, what I used to do is to cancelled the call out charge off the bill if the job is accepted.

masona said:
what I used to do is to cancelled the call out charge off the bill if the job is accepted.

Well there´s a good point. I also think you have to vet your clients before you go to them i.e in the case of the machine not being plugged in or with electrical installation ( fault ) ask them if they have unplugged everything and clearly tell them that a call out fee will be charged. If it reasonable people generally understand.

Another way of doing it, quite common with alarm companies, plumbers and heating engineers is to charge a minimum fee that covers callout and the first 30 minutes labour.

A call out fee will cover your costs not only for that job but if you have to break away from an existing job which has been priced it will end up taking longer as you have had to unload and load your tools twice - maybe even lay floorboards back down for safety etc etc

Sarah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back