Why does it not show up immediately when someone edits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why does it not show up immediately when someone edits there post?

I know that we are able to edit our own posts for sometime after we've made them without it showing up as one late night dex gave me a lesson on "quoting". We were then able to go back and remove most, if not all of the signs of what we'd been up to.

Yesterday I realised for the first time that it was important when someone edits their own post we should be able to see that an edit has taken place. The tone of a thread can change because of something said in a post that has then been altered anyone joining later will not understand why. In the meantime a reply has been made and unless you go back you may not know a change has been made and maybe arguing a point that is no longer seen to have been made. A post was made on a thread last night the person that made it re-visited his post and altered the wording which fundamentally changed his post. anyone now trying to follow that thread now, will not see the full picture.

So question: why cant we see immediately when someone edits their own post?.

Sponsored Links
If someone edits their post and no subsequent reply has been added to the topic by anyone else then no indication is made that the post has been edited.

If someone else posts a reply after a post and the original post is edited then it will say at the bottom 'Edited by etc......'

An example - see above, if I edit it (which I have) it says 'edited by...' because this post has been made, but I can edit this post without that message appearing until someone makes a reply to this topic.

If someone edits their post and no subsequent reply has been added to the topic by anyone else then no indication is made that the post has been edited.

I understand that.

If someone else posts a reply after a post and the original post is edited then it will say at the bottom 'Edited by etc......'

Therein lies the problem.
You read a post and type a response (slowly in my case) but in the mean time the post is altered. Now your reply look at odds with what appears in a post that a response refers to. Unless you go back and read the post to which you replied you will not know it's been changed as it doesn't show up. The altered post is then quoted leaving new readers of the thread wondering whats going on.

It seems to me that it would be reasonable to allow people to edit their posts but once it has been submitted any edit should show up.

Sponsored Links
The obvious solution is to only allow one person at a time to reply to a topic or edit an existing post; any one else would only be allowed to view the topic, which would automatically update when the poster/editor had finished.

It could mean that a post is locked for ages, while a slow typist is composing their reply; though there could be a time limit, after which the current poster is thrown off and the topic opened again.

However, I doubt if this would be acceptable to the argumentative fringe. ;)

I cant see why once a post is submitted any alteration shows as an edit, no holds whatsoever.
Point taken about the AF but some of us like it ;)

does this post show an edit?

Personally, I'd like a "typo" button or similar, to indicate that my potential edit was for a correction rather than an edit to the content, if you catch my meaning.

And yes, I'm well aware of spell checkers etc :rolleyes:

Spell checkers give you possible alternatives, they don't always use correct 'native' spelling.
For instance, I use a number of dictionaries. In the Collins English Gem they spell sterilisation, (the way I was taught at school), whereas in Websters New English and the Oxford Minature they spell it sterilization.
I consider the latter to be American and therefore incorrect but the DIYnot spellchecker suggests it as possibly correct.

IF you are slow at replying, you do have the option to edit your own post to change it if you notice that the previous poster has edited theirs.

Spell checkers give you possible alternatives, they don't always use correct 'native' spelling.
Many people think that the use of 'z' instead of 's' in words like organization, sterilization etc is an Americanization, but that's not correct. It seems to depend on the origin of the word.

For example: organize comes from the Latin Organizare, not the French Organiser; but compromise come from the French compromiser.

Then you get words like sulphur, which the Americans spell sulfur. However the American spelling is now the accepted one in all scientific circles.

Then you get words like sulphur, which the Americans spell sulfur. However the American spelling is now the accepted one in all scientific circles.
Have to disagree there,I've just asked my daughter who is doing A level science and its definetly sulphur.

For instance, I use a number of dictionaries. In the Collins English Gem they spell sterilisation, (the way I was taught at school), whereas in Websters New English and the Oxford Minature they spell it sterilization.
I consider the latter to be American and therefore incorrect but the DIYnot spellchecker suggests it as possibly correct.
Catching Miss polled Words with Spilling Chequer

As an extra addled service, I am going to put this posed in the Spilling Checker, where I tryst it will sale through with flying colons. In this modern ear, it is simply inexplicable to ask readers to expose themselves to misspelled swords when they have bitter things to do.

And with all the other tome saying features on my new work processor, it is in realty very easy to pit together a colon like this one and get it tight. For instants, if there is a work that is wrong, I just put the curse on it, press Delete and its Well sometimes it deletes to the end of the lion or worst yet the whole rage. Four bigger problems, there is the Cat and Paste option. If there is some test that is somewhere were you wish it where somewhere else you jest put the curse at both ends and wash it disappear. Where you want it to reappear simply bring four quarts of water to a rotting boil and throw in 112 pounds of dazed chicken. Sometimes it brings in the Cat that was Pasted yesterday.

But usually it comes out as you planed, or better. And if it doesn't, there are lots of other easy to lose options...

Sponsored Links
Back