WHY DOES MY CH HEADER TANK KEEP FILLING????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the same problem with mine, never quite managed to be 100% certain through diagnosis, in the end bit the bullet, changed the cylinder, not a single drop has come out my overflow since. Conclusion, coil holed.

Mind you, with mine, without the boiler working and just the immersion heating the water it was as bad if not worse. mine was def filling up from the bottom feed to the central heating/hot water as yours and not venting over from the vent pipe.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for going on lads, but do you think its a blockage.
( I know its difficult cus your not there)
Thanks.

Had the same problem with mine, never quite managed to be 100% certain through diagnosis, in the end bit the bullet, changed the cylinder, not a single drop has come out my overflow since. Conclusion, coil holed.

Mind you, with mine, without the boiler working and just the immersion heating the water it was as bad if not worse. mine was def filling up from the bottom feed to the central heating/hot water as yours and not venting over from the vent pipe.

was yours filling without the boiler operating though?

Sponsored Links
i was wondering if the f & e was not at least 1 metre above the primary vent it could cause pumping over , but missed half this post so gotta catch up!:) pump positioning/speed setting could also play apart in this. the pump head/3 rule is true ... :)

Sorry for going on lads, but do you think its a blockage.
( I know its difficult cus your not there)
Thanks.

can't answer any more till we know if the water stops when you isolate the cylinder from the cws tank.
or what is the condition of the water in the f/e tank, black ,sludgey, clean ?
what speed is your pump on ?

i was wondering if the f & e was not at least 1 metre above the primary vent it could cause pumping over , but missed half this post so gotta catch up!:) pump positioning/speed setting could also play apart in this. the pump head/3 rule is true ... :)

yes true i agree.

Was doing it with boiler running, when draining the tank to stop the overflow, it would take about 2/3 days of normal use before filling up again and overflowing.....turned boiler off completley so only heating with immersion and the same happened, about the same time frame...

Seco services

The water has stopped and the gate valve to the cylinder is still open.
The water in the tank is a bit dirty but nothing abnormal.

Steve

The system is installed correct and been working fine for years.
I know you hear it alot but I bulls**t you not.

so your system is still running boiler etc but its stopped backfilling the tank.

what speed is the pump at ?

macgee - i'm sorry was just checking every possible solution!! this is a weird one. hope it gets sorted out soon and a solution is discovered.

With the boiler running (HTG or HW) the tank fills. When you stop the boiler, it stops filling.
The pump is on the slowest speed, system isn't that big.

I do appreciate all of your help, in case I didn't say it before.

Will do some more investigating and get back to you. :D

i would say their is a blockage somewhere.
can you try giving the system a flush through.
maybe add some chemicals run for a week then reflush again.

Surely if the cylinder had gone, it would fill with the boiler off, ( all be it a lot slower).
Why do you think it would be slower? :confused:

You described the symptoms, people tell you that it's likely that the coil has gone, but you don't want that to be the cause, so you pretend that it hasn't.

This is a straightforward fault, but it has no cure. You could undertake some therapy, but ultimately you're just deluded.

Softus.

I am not deluded, I just refuse to change a cylinder when it might not actually be needed. I appreciate all of the comments from everyone apart from yourself, as they are constructive as opposed to yours which just seem to show a lack of understanding in this area. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back