Why does some eqpt leak to earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reading up on 17th, the guidebook I have (ECA Guide to the wiring regulations 17th Edition, which I have fouind quite good by the way) notes that "Most modern individual pieces of equipment on a circuit creates some amount of earth leakage current and these currents add in the cirtuit's protective earth conductor'.

The go on to suggest that the circuit should therefor be designed so that the circuit runs with a standing leakage of < 25% of the rated operating current (i.e. 7.5mA I think).

2 questions are then, firstly why does the equpt do this? A result of induction/ eddy currents of some kind (perhaps switching in/out inductive loads?)

And secondly, how would you calculate/ allow for this (or would it just be based on experience)?

Sponsored Links
Mains filters have capacitors in them that are connected between Phase and Earth, and between Neutral and Earth to quench any overvoltage in the supply

Doh! turned 2 pages at once... the next page gave guidelines (althought not the reasons behind it).

Likely culprits:

Switched mode PSUs (Tvs, PCs, Photocopiers etc) allow 1mA per piece of eqpt.

Heating elements (allow 3mA <= 3kW and 6mA upto 6kW)

Sponsored Links
Another likely culprit.

Long runs of steel wire armoured cable which has significant capacity between Live conductor and the earthed armouring.

And concentric would probably have similar capacity related "leakage"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back