Why does the forum forget what you've read?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the features that works really well on diynot is the yellow bells to show which topics have new posts for you.

But every so often, diynot seems to throw a fit and assume that I have read everything and all the topics are shown white.

Why is this? And is it something that afflicts all users at the same time or only specific users?

Sponsored Links
I have never noticed the 'bells', I know what I have read as it is no longer in 'bold'.
If something may be of interest to me at a latter date, I post a comment, then look at 'my posts'.

If you are not active on the site for over an hour then the 'new posts' doofer resets.

If you are not active on the site for over an hour then the 'new posts' doofer resets.

That's not how it works for me. I can be away for days, come back to one of the sub-forums, and it shows me the ~8 threads that have been updated.

Except every so often it simply forgets it all.

Sponsored Links
We have experienced this a couple of time, I believe it happens when the session is created, something goes wrong and it creates another session, it then believes your last visit was seconds (or less) ago and so marks everything read. As this happens so infrequently, we have yet to pin it down, sadly :cry: ..yet.

Speaking as a software developer, that doesn't sound unlikely.

Oh well - as long as Freddy's twin & me aren't imagining it :LOL:

Speaking as a software developer, that doesn't sound unlikely.
Speaking as one who is no longer a software developer, but one who does know what can be done with proper engineering techniques, that doesn't sound excusable.

I blame Micro$oft.

Sponsored Links
Back