why dont wago make some of these?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I mean of course the wago like connectors ( I like the stackable idea) and scotchlocks for mains !!???

I have seen these wago types on e-bay etc but wonder are they any good.

Sponsored Links
When I was learning my trade, it was drilled in to me that you NEVER twist the conductors of solid cable.
So, you'll not get me up in one of those, thank you!

Re the Scotchlock. The outer sheath needs to be inside the enclosure. Need a 3-way one for the CPC. And, do I really need to crimp a spade onnector on the end of each?

Sorry, Its a no from me.

I remember the scotch lock caused no end of problems with the auto trade. But have an old book explaining about the Western role method of joining telephone cables, the idea of Wago first saw in 1980 in Algeria so non of the ideas are new.

But only one firm GEC ever calibrated the crimp pliers.

ISTR that those connectors crimped on the cable are for elv only (12v) not 240V AC,

Sponsored Links
I'm just thinking 'thank heavens we don't have to put up with some of that crap'

After I got made redundant last year, I ended up working in a factory making wiring harnesses for classic cars. Loved the work but the one thing that was drilled into me was to never twist wires together to go into terminals (must have had new-starters doing it)!

The only way we secured multiple wires into single terminals was by either crimping, crimping and soldering or 'squashing' a terminal and soldering.

When I was learning my trade, it was drilled in to me that you NEVER twist the conductors of solid cable.

I believe electricians hate it if they come across it on stuff like a ring main -because it makes it more difficult to remove wires as needed for testing circuits

As a non electrical professional, I find it hard sometimes to get the terminal screw to not push the solid core wire to one side. (I did learn the single wires need to be bent in half to form 2 wires)

As Eric has said,

there is a difference between just needlessly twisting the wires and putting in a screw terminal and preparing a joint properly for soldering - i.e. it shall be electrically and mechanically sound before soldering; the solder merely to prevent oxidation between the cores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back